Graphic and Digital Designer
Type of Job
Nov 29, 2022
About the job
Application deadline: December 17, 2022
Expected start date: January 16, 2023
Location: Amazon Watch headquarters in Oakland, CA
Amazon Watch is a dynamic nonprofit organization working to protect the rainforest, advance the rights of Indigenous peoples in the Amazon Basin, and demand corporate accountability to address the climate crisis. Amazon Watch is an organization that works in partnership and solidarity with Indigenous communities across the Amazon as part of the international climate justice movement. Many of our allies across the rainforest are currently facing and resisting climate change-related catastrophes, the onslaught of extreme government regimes, and the expansion of fossil fuels, mining and other extractive industries.
We are seeking a passionate professional to serve as our Graphic and Digital Designer to design, produce, and coordinate digital and print publications, promotional materials, and multimedia, and support with Amazon Watch’s website. This is a new position with a variety of work across the Communications Team. This is a full-time, exempt position based in our Oakland, CA headquarters. Due to the nature of our work, evening and weekend hours are occasionally required.
- Creative, follow trends on social media, and have a knack for designing things people want to know more about
- Someone with a keen eye for visual design and presentation who is comfortable working across multiple formats (print, social media, website, video, etc.) and maintaining a consistent presentation of our organization and work
- Familiar with specific requirements and possibilities of digital materials, including social media kits and responsive web design and user experience evaluation
- Skilled at balancing longer-term design planning with urgent projects, knowing what to prioritize during emergency scenarios
- A mindful communicator who advocates and strives for consistent branding as a tool to further movements
- Committed to racial justice, climate justice and Indigenous rights, and willing to put in the work to bring justice, equity, and inclusion into your daily work such as in our publications, photo imagery, and designs
- Looking to work in advocacy settings and understand, or are willing to learn, the role the Global North plays in resource extraction in the Global South
This role would require leading the following:
- Update and maintain Amazon Watch’s visual identity
- Coordinate and maintain organizational design style guides
- Coordinate and implement consistent design strategy across Amazon Watch materials with the Communications and Development teams
- Coordinate design calendar on Asana as determined with Communications team
- Design and produce all digital and print materials including annual reports, flyers, research reports, and graphics for social media posts, among others
- Collaborate with the Digital Media Coordinator on asset maintenance and organization
- Work with creative vendors and contractors, as needed, to maintain branding and style cohesion
- Support with acquisition of evergreen assets and footage for projects on an ongoing basis
- Occasionally provide general support and assist website manager with site (WordPress) maintenance, as well as providing design refresh input and ideas
The ideal candidate has:
- Minimum four years work experience in graphics design and related communications field
- Excellent written communications skills
- Proficiency in Adobe suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere
- Ability to design under tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, with an eye for accuracy and catching typos
- Digital engagement experience and experience making public-facing content for social media
- Familiarity with Google Drive/Google Photos and other file-sharing tools
- Effective collaborator with the ability to work and think independently
- Good organizational skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and creativity
- Desire to work with Indigenous communities and personal passion for our mission
- Proficient in Spanish or Portuguese
We are open to candidates who have design experience but might not have formal communications experience but have relevant movement, program, or organizing experience, are enthusiastic about learning communications, and are open to mentorship. If you meet some but not all of the suggested job qualifications, please apply.
Salary and benefits:
Mid to upper $70s.
Current benefits include:
Full coverage family health care (including vision and dental), voluntary life and AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, generous vacation time, sick time, paid parental leave, paid holidays, paid sabbatical after five years, employer-matched retirement plan plus budget for professional development and home office supplies for ergonomic work.
Please, no calls. Send résumé, three references, and a cover letter about why you would like to join our team and why you are the best candidate for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as:
“Ana_Martinez_Cover_Letter.doc” and “Ana_Martinez_Resume.doc.”
Amazon Watch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation or class. We strive to build an organization that is inclusive and representative of our partners and the larger world. To that end, we strongly encourage self-identified people of color, people with disabilities, Indigenous, queer and transgender people to apply. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.