Go Solar Programs Help Desk Specialist
Type of Job
$45,000 - 55,000
Apr 12, 2023
About the job
Our energy system is on the brink of a major transformation, and we’re looking for someone to help us ensure this new system puts rooftop solar energy at the cornerstone!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit that started more than 15 years ago with a simple question: "Mom, can we go solar?" Since then, we've helped tens of thousands of people benefit from solar energy. We are dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone — by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
We’re looking for someone to join our National Solar Help Desk in this next exciting phase of growth. We care so much about our work to increase access to solar and to support the adoption of rooftop solar nationwide, we launched our Solar Help Desk offering as a side hustle in 2021 offering 15-minute scheduled phone appointments and email-based support on everything from “How does this solar thing work?” to “I’ve got a few proposals, and I need help comparing them”. After two years of experience, it’s clear what we’re doing is needed!
We want someone ready to be a founding member of the team with a mission to take that side hustle and turn it into a fully staffed, well-managed, and scalable offering that we see becoming a critical contributor to our organizational mission. In this position, you’ll be working daily with homeowners all over the country to help them on their solar journey, providing kind, high quality, and practical support along the way.
The Help Desk Specialist won’t do this work alone. Your focus will be on our Help Desk, but you’ll be part of the growing Go Solar team. In addition to our Help Desk services, SUN’s Go Solar team supports our state and national programming such as solar co-ops, our community solar platform, consulting services, and more.
Job responsibilities include:
· Level 1 support – Answer emails, phone, and chat requests; Staff 15-minute appointment calls.
· Reporting– Record all support cases accurately for wider metrics and tracking as a team.
· Content – Occasionally author new content and update existing content in support of our mission.
· Hiring – Support Help Desk Manager in interviewing and vetting additional staff hires.
· Training– Support Help Desk Manager in building and maintaining a training program for Help Desk Specialists.
· Process development/improvement – Support Help Desk Manager to take what we’ve done, make it better, implement changes as needed to ensure efficient and effective operation of the Help Desk team and high-quality service delivery.
· Ability to multitask and balance multiple projects
· Organized and self-directed in your short and long-term projects
· Possess an upbeat attitude and a customer-focused mindset
· Thrives in a collaborative team setting
· Interest in growing your solar industry knowledge from the inside out (technology, consumer protection, financing, policy, etc.)
· Knowledge of WordPress, Salesforce, Asana, and HelpScout/ZenDesk/or similar
· Strong written and verbal communication skills are a huge plus
· At least 1 year of rooftop solar industry experience preferred
· Experience working on a support/help desk preferred
· Spanish-fluency a strong plus
Why We Love SUN
● Fun, remote work environment
● Flexible work hours
● Generous paid leave policy
● Health, vision, and dental insurance
● $1,000/year professional development stipend
● $50/month phone and internet stipend
● 401(k) retirement account with match after 1 year
● Meaningful, impactful work
Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with a non-traditional education. We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
If you think this job might be for you, please apply on our job board!