Go Solar Programs Help Desk Manager
Type of Job
$65,000 - 75,000
Apr 12, 2023
About the job
Our energy system is on the brink of a major transformation, and we’re looking for someone to help us ensure this new system puts rooftop solar energy at the cornerstone!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit that started more than 15 years ago with a simple question: "Mom, can we go solar?" Since then, we've helped tens of thousands of people benefit from solar energy. We are dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone — by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
We’re looking for someone to guide our National Solar Help Desk in this next exciting phase of growth. We care so much about our work to increase access to solar and to support the adoption of rooftop solar nationwide, we launched our Solar Help Desk offering as a side hustle in 2021 offering 15-minute scheduled phone appointments and email-based support on everything from “How does this solar thing work?” to “I’ve got a few proposals, and I need help comparing them”. After two years of experience, it’s clear what we’re doing is needed!
We want someone who will help us take our side hustle and turn it into a fully staffed, well-managed, and scalable offering that we see becoming a critical contributor to our organizational mission. In this position, you’ll be constantly asking yourself “How does it feel for a regular person to use this service? Is our Help Desk using our resources well in support of homeowners? How can we recruit, sign-up and retain the best staff to maintain our high level of service? How can we more effectively plug Help Desk users into our organization’s other programs?”
The Help Desk Manager won’t do this work alone. In addition to the staff you’ll be managing directly on your team, you’ll be working as part of a larger team. In addition to our Help Desk services, SUN’s Go Solar team supports our state and national programming such as solar co-ops, our community solar platform, consulting services, and more.
Job responsibilities include:
· Hiring – You’ll be bringing on a team of Help Desk Specialists and be responsible for keeping your team fully staffed.
· Training– Take what we’ve learned from our two years of running this program and turn it into a repeatable and effective training program for new staff; Train all new staff and maintain a high level of knowledge and skills for existing staff through professional development programming.
· Scheduling– Manage the staffing of all service offerings so we have the desired level of coverage for each service (email, phone appointment, chat, etc.). Support ongoing professional development.
· Process development/improvement – Take what we’ve done, make it better, implement changes as needed to ensure efficient and effective operation of the Help Desk team and high-quality service delivery. This will be a combination of human process improvements and software improvements (with support from IT).
· Content – Assist the rest of the Go Solar team in authoring new content and updating existing content in support of our mission.
· Level 2 support – As the team grows, you’ll likely be providing “Level 2” support for the more complex and challenging support cases. You’ll draw on your own knowledge and experience and work with the broader Go Solar team to do this.
· Overflow support – We’re a small (but growing!) organization. If no one else is available to cover an appointment or answer an email, you’re up! We believe that regular customer contact is essential to keeping the team grounded in what’s important for supporting homeowners and of our mission.
· Reporting– Develop and maintain data related to key performance indicators and report this information regularly to the organization for general awareness and decision support.
· Marketing support – Work with our Communications and Digital team to support their efforts to market this product to the public and to keep our Help Desk-related web content up to date.
· Strategic planning – Support our management team in making strategic decisions on the growth and direction of the Help Desk.
· Minimum five years of work experience required
· Minimum two years of management experience required
· Experience managing a support/help desk
· Experience with providing customer support for the public
· Experience with process improvement
· Love owning the outcome of a process and the challenge that comes with working across teams to make those outcomes possible
· Ability to multitask and balance multiple projects
· Organized and self-directed in your short and long-term projects
· Possess an upbeat attitude and a customer-focused mindset
· Thrives in a collaborative team setting
· Interest in growing your solar industry knowledge from the inside out (technology, consumer protection, financing, policy, etc.)
· Comfortable with project management tools like Asana or similar
· Experience with Salesforce or another CRM
· Experience with HelpScout, ZenDesk, or similar ticketing systems
· Rooftop solar industry experience preferred
· Strong written and verbal communication skills a big plus
· Spanish-fluency a strong plus
Why We Love SUN
● Fun, remote work environment
● Flexible work hours
● Generous paid leave policy
● Health, vision, and dental insurance
● $1,000/year professional development stipend
● $50/month phone and internet stipend
● 401(k) retirement account with match after 1 year
● Meaningful, impactful work
Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with a non-traditional education. We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
If you think this job might be for you, please apply on our job board!