Global Foundation Strategies Director
New York City, Santa Monica or Chicago
Type of Job
$165,000 to $190,000
Mar 7, 2023
About the job
APPLY - Director, Global Foundation Strategies in New York, New York | Careers at New York, NY (icims.com)
NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Director, Global Foundation Strategies to work with the Foundation Relations team in our New York, San Francisco, or Chicago office.
To support NRDC expanding global presence, the Director of Global Foundation Strategies will supervise two internationally focused foundation portfolio managers and will be responsible for collaborating with international program teams, especially those working in China and India. The Director will help develop strategic fundraising plans and integrated institutional budgets for key areas of international work and will engage leadership staff in these fundraising efforts.
Fundraising and Management:
- Lead the global foundation team in projecting, tracking, and reforecasting international grants included in the Foundation team’s annual revenue budget.
- As leader of our global foundation strategies, work closely with NRDC leadership, international project teams, National Director of Foundation Relations, and staff at foundations to develop integrated strategic fundraising plans for priority international work.
- Supervise and mentor two Senior Portfolio Managers who manage the global portfolios of U.S. and European-based foundations.
- Develop strategies for engaging NRDC’s President and CEO in key relationships to solicit support from major foundations.
- Collaborate with Development colleagues in Principal and Major Gifts, informing their efforts to raise funds for international work.
- Work with Assistant Director of U.S. Foundation Strategies to ensure coordination on foundations shared between the Global Portfolio Manager and the Senior Portfolio managers focused on U.S. work
- Work with the global foundation team to identify and cultivate new funding opportunities to support current international work and new international institutional priorities.
- Ensure the global foundation team maintains consistent and up to date records in Salesforce.
- Coordinate regularly with Program Managing Directors, Chief Program Officer, and other leaders to help ensure our fundraising efforts are aligned with NRDC’s programmatic and communications strategic priorities.
- Lead the global foundation team in working with project teams to develop integrated fundraising budgets for priority areas of work.
- Commitment to NRDC’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
- 12+ years’ experience in raising funds from foundations, with significant experience with foundations funding work outside of the U.S.
- 5+ years’ experience managing fundraisers and working in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of global environmental issues and environmental foundations
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop fundraising strategies working in conjunction with program experts and Development leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage a team and to maintain enduring relationships with foundation program officers, staff, and coworkers
- Organizational skills; ability to prioritize, delegate, and simultaneously oversee multiple streams of work
- Detail-oriented with high standards of excellence
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated ability to develop proposals, reports, and other materials, including budgets and financial reports
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. For this position, the salary is $165,000 to $190,000. Internal equity considerations will be reviewed before making a final offer.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For more about NRDC, visit www.nrdc.org.