GIS Member - New River Gorge National Park and Preserve
Type of Job
Jul 28, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service is seeking one GIS Member to assist New River Gorge National Park and Preserve staff with the site’s GIS needs. This position will primarily use GPS to locate infrastructure utilities above/below ground at park facilities, update GIS databases for park infrastructure, and produce infrastructure maps.
Start Date: October 17, 2022 (some flexibility may be available for the right candidate)
End Date: January 9, 2023 (or 12 weeks after start date)
* A minimum 12-week commitment is required *
Location: New River Gorge National Park and Preserve (NERI), Glen Jean, West Virginia.
NERI is located in southern West Virginia and encompasses 70,000 acres and 53 miles of one of the oldest rivers on the continent. NERI is home to a vast array of natural and cultural resources. Renowned for its recreational opportunities, NERI hosts miles of hiking and biking trails, premiere whitewater rafting, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, bird watching, and camping.
Park staff also manage nearby Bluestone National Scenic River (BLUE) and Gauley River National Recreation Area (GARI). BLUE protects 10.5 miles of free-flowing river and offers a rich variety of natural resources and history along the Bluestone Turnpike Trail. GARI protects 25 miles of the Gauley River and 6 miles of Meadow River. Known for its multiple class V rapids, GARI is one of the most adventurous rivers in the east.
Note: cellular service in and around the Park is limited
Project Website: For more information about the park, please visit their website at: https://www.nps.gov/neri/index.htm.
For more information about American Conservation Experience: http://www.usaconservation.org/.
Living Allowance: The ACE Member is expected to contribute ~40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $475/week to offset the costs of food, housing, and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly. The member will have use of a government vehicle for project-related travel, though a personal vehicle is required for time off and personal travel.
Housing: Housing is the responsibility of the member and not provided by ACE or NPS. Park housing may be made available at a cost of approximately $290 per month.
AmeriCorps: This position may be eligible for a 450-hour AmeriCorps Education Award ($1,678.57) upon successful completion of service hours. Additional enrollment and volunteer service is required.
Position Description: The GIS Member will primarily be serving on a park-wide project using GPS to locate and map infrastructure utilities above and below ground at park facilities, download GPS data and update GIS databases for park infrastructure. The member will then produce infrastructure maps of each park facility completed. This will involve research for existing condition mapping, interviewing staff with institutional knowledge and finally collecting locations in the field. The member may be involved with additional GIS/GPS projects as the need arises.
Training: This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. Cross training opportunities are encouraged and could include amphibian surveys, bird netting, invasive species management, vegetation management, and interpretive programs/education.
Physical Demands: Duties consist of a mix of indoor sedentary projects and physical outdoor duties. Projects may be conducted over rough, uneven terrain during adverse weather conditions. Light lifting, bending, and driving are required.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility.
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request).
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website here.
- A personal vehicle
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to safely follow procedures used in the field
- Desire to learn and apply new concepts
- Competitive applicants for this position may hold or be pursuing a minimum of a bachelor's degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as GIS, GPS, geography, environmental sciences, or a related discipline.
- Intermediate GIS and GPS skills
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/. Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC NPS Member Support Specialist, Kyle Ellison at firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.