Type of Job
$75K to $85K depending on level of experience
Apr 27, 2022
About the job
The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks a full-time Gifts Officer to manage, coordinate, build and cultivate donor relationships with individuals and family foundations and raise significant revenue to help sustain the organization. The Gifts Officer will undertake activities and generate funds that contribute to and help achieve the organization’s annual general operating, special project, and capital major donor contributions goals.
The Gifts Officer is a critical part of the Development Team, and will work closely with the Director of Development to create and direct the department’s fundraising priorities and strategies. The Gifts Officer will also work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and other volunteers, as well as other staff across the organization, to strengthen existing relationships and establish new relationships with individual donors with a focus on raising major gifts.
The Gifts Officer is an integral part of the organization and is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the watershed’s restoration and the engagement of diverse communities, partners, and other stakeholders to deliver on our mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed by bringing partners and communities together to achieve a clean and safe Anacostia River for the benefit of all living in its watershed and for future generations.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 30 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning non-profit, with an annual budget of $3 million, that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different Washington, D.C. metro area communities within the 176 square-mile watershed.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society works with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia River watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
· Develop, manage, and implement a well-coordinated individual giving program designed to cultivate and solicit support from a portfolio of diverse individuals and family foundations that represent the highest giving potential for the organization.
· Identify, qualify, cultivate, and steward relationships with existing and prospective individual donors with a focus on major gifts.
· Provide input on marketing and communications strategies to ensure that individual donor strategies are integrated into appropriate communications and marketing channels and tools (i.e., website, newsletters, annual reports, etc.).
· Support the cultivation of major gifts by crafting proposals, writing presentations, developing and engaging in stewardship visits, managing logistics, and developing strategic communications.
· Manage, in conjunction with the Director of Development and President/CEO, the execution of the annual Board of Directors giving campaign.
· Lead or support the planning and execution of annual fundraising events; represent AWS at a variety of fundraising, outreach, and community events to build relationships.
· Monitor and report on revenue and expenses associated with individual giving strategies, and maintain accurate and complete records of all communications with donors.
· Participate in other special projects, organization-wide efforts, and tasks as assigned.
· Interest and/or experience in individual fundraising; comfort in outdoor recreation (on the water and in the field); and demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and passion for environmental sustainability.
· Highly organized and detail-oriented self-starter. Proven ability to prioritize even during periods of peak activity and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
· Excellent written/verbal communication, interpersonal skills, including persuasive and effective communication that forwards the purpose and mission of the organization. Strong command of the issues, and demonstrated ability to strategically communicate the “ask” to persuade donors of the need.
· Demonstrated ability to qualify a caseload of donors with the highest giving potential, develop relationships and raise funds from major donors, and to coach and lead others (staff and board members) in major donor cultivation.
· Ability to work with and provide excellent customer service internally and externally to people of all ages, especially experience working in a metropolitan area.
· Self-motivation, innovation, resourcefulness, and cooperative team player.
· Demonstrated interest and or passion for environmental justice.
· Willing, motivated, and able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends, and travel to visit donors/prospects.
· Physical work may be required (i.e. ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds).
Required Qualifications and Experiences
· Seasoned development professional with 3-5+ years of progressively responsible experience and proven success in major gifts fundraising, direct marketing, and/or other development experience.
· Bachelor’s degree and/or additional experience/education in non-profit management or environmental/conservation field is a plus, but not a requirement.
· Experience in project management, logistical support, and working with staff and volunteers.
· Command of the required technical skills and information relevant to fundraising/donor management, including: demonstrated experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) required. Experience in database management (preferably a fundraising database) with the ability to produce and analyze reports preferred. Experience with wealth screening tools is a plus.
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· We partner with and support multiple people in the communities we serve, and therefore, require COVID-19 vaccination for all AWS staff.
We are offering a competitive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and benefits package. Salary range is $75K - $85K depending on level of experience.
Interested applicants should email a résumé formally expressing your interest to email@example.com. Application deadline is May 15, 2022.
AWS encourages and embraces diversity. We seek qualified applicants that reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve.