Gardens & Forestry Technician
191 Soccer Field Rd, Glenwood Springs, CO
Type of Job
$23.75 - $26.13/hour (DOQ)
Feb 15, 2023
About the job
Apply online at: https://cogs.us/Jobs.aspx
GARDENS & FORESTRY POSITION SUMMARY: The Gardens & Forestry Technician is responsible for working both independently and in a team environment while learning and acquiring the various skills associated with accepted horticultural and forestry maintenance practices for gardens, trees, and shrubs with emphasis on keeping work zones safe and clear. This position is responsible for learning to use specialized equipment such as various size chainsaws, brush chippers, skid steer and tractor. Snow removal is an important aspect in the winter months downtown. This job may require shifts ranging from morning weekends and holidays. All parks’ employees work as a larger team and assist with day-to-day parks maintenance duties as needed.
POSITION REPORTS TO: Downtown Parks & Open Space Supervisor, Full-Time Maintenance Worker II
DIRECT REPORTS ASSIGNED: 0; non-supervisory position
JOB LOCATION: Parks Headquarters, 191 Soccer Field Rd, Glenwood Springs, CO
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
HOURS: Average 30 or less hours per week, not to exceed 960 in a year.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques and tools used in the maintenance of gardens, trees and/or parks are preferred.
- Ability to perform manual labor outdoors, including in inclement conditions, and for extended periods of time.
- Understands watering requirements for a variety of plant material including perennials, shrubs, trees, and turf and the various types of soil profiles is preferred.
- Knowledge in the field of irrigation, installation, maintenance, and repairs preferred.
- Displays operation of a wide variety of equipment and tools used in parks maintenance, repair & construction, and snow removal equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally; establish and maintain working relationships with employees and the public.
- Must be highly motivated and take direction well with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work productively without supervision within established policies and procedures service.
- Willingness to provide support to other parks teams when needed is essential.
OTHER DUTIES: The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Ability to follow directions and communicate effectively.
- Exhibit good customer service skills when engaging with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter.
- Ability to use computers and associated software applications.
- Preparedness to learn new information and practice new skills.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle record.
- Experience in outdoor settings