Type of Job
Jun 28, 2023
About the job
Housing Alexandria is a non-profit affordable housing developer and owner. Click here to learn more about our history, mission, vision, and values.
Purpose of Position
The Fundraising Manager will research, submit, and manage grants, plan and execute events and initiatives, and develop relationships with donors and foundations to secure revenue that will assist Housing Alexandria in fulfilling its mission. In collaboration with the VP of Community Relations, the fundraising manager will also help the organization transition to Salesforce for donor management and implement processes to ensure long-term strategic fundraising activities and goals. The ideal candidate will use their strong communication skills to successfully engage donors, apply analytical thinking and hands-on problem solving to manage the uncertainties of fundraising, and have an interest in innovation and technology to continually improve initiatives.
This position will report directly to the Vice President of Community Relations and will help collaboratively build our staff culture of innovation, empowerment, and integrity.
Grant Writing & Management
- Manage and perform all activities related to developing persuasive proposals for grant requests. Including writing grant narratives, coordinating budgets with the appropriate team, and developing all materials for submissions.
- Process, monitor, and coordinate required reports on all grants.
- Create and manage annual grant plans and facilitate all grant meetings.
- Engage the team across the organization in the grant writing process and have a deep understanding of the Rent Ready, Stable, Own initiatives to regularly engage with the programs and advocate for them.
Fundraising & Donors
- Ensure all donor, sponsor, and grant-making activity is promptly and accurately tracked on our Salesforce platform.
- Provide reporting on an annual and as-needed basis of all fundraising streams, including analysis of areas of success and areas of opportunity.
- Assist in identifying and cultivating potential major donors for the organization, as well as donor proposals and requests.
Events & Community Engagement
- Coordinate and execute Housing Alexandria’s annual fundraising events, including but not limited to vendor procurement, marketing, advertising, sponsorship agreements, digital presence, team and board engagement, menu management, entertainment, silent auctions, ticket sales, sponsorship agreements, day-of coordination, and other related activities.
- Support social media initiatives to capture year-round donations via digital and mail appeals, email marketing, sponsorship support, resident testimonial development, and more.
Project and Program Management
- Collaborate with leadership to set annual strategic fundraising goals, implementation plans, and consistent check-ins.
- Assist in managing the fundraising budget, policies, procedures, and training any new team members on these items.
- Function as the lead expert on all of Housing Alexandria’s fundraising activities, providing reporting and forecasting to the senior leadership team, Board of Directors, and various other stakeholders on a regular and as-needed basis.
- Coordinate with the finance team to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting and completion of the annual audit.
Culture and Leadership
- Actively participate in all team meetings, training sessions, and other appropriate meetings and conferences as required.
- Foster Housing Alexandria’s mission, culture, values, strategic plan, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Perform other duties as directed.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Five years of fundraising experience. Up to 2 years substitutable by relevant marketing, sales, or advocacy experience or education.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidates selected for an interview will be required to complete a written performance exercise.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines effectively.
- Highly self-motivated and results-driven.
- Adaptable and resilient to the ebbs and flows of the fundraising lifecycle.
- Strong research, analytical, and project management skills.
- Sincere interest in career growth and support of Housing Alexandria’s mission
Beneficial Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field. Substitutable with a certification, professional membership, or similar qualification in fundraising.
- Proficiency in Salesforce or other donor management platforms, Microsoft Office, and/or SharePoint.
- Expertise in videography, photography, social media, visual/graphic design, or web development.
- Spanish, Amharic, or Arabic language ability.
- Experience assisting individuals and groups facing difficulties such as economically disadvantaged, unemployment, abuse and neglect, substance abuse, aging, disabilities, prevention, health, cultural competencies, and inadequate housing.
The Fundraising Manager is a full-time permanent position requiring the employee to be locally in the DMV area and must be onsite in the Housing Alexandria corporate office a minimum of 3 full days per week. Tuesday & Thursday are mandatory to be onsite. Some weekends and evenings are required. This position requires the team member to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as well as travel locally in the DMV area.
Is this position right for you?
We strongly encourage people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. We value a diverse workplace, and we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
Research indicates that men tend to apply for jobs when they meet just 60% of the criteria, while women and people from other marginalized groups only apply if they are a 100% match. If you are passionate about Housing Alexandria’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role, even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. $70,000 to $80,000 annually. This is a bonus-eligible position.
Housing Alexandria’s benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Matching 401(k), parental leave, HSA, tuition assistance, paid networking opportunities, wellness program, flexible work schedule, paid time off, and more.
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
Housing Alexandria is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a drug-free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.