Front-end Developer, E-Commerce Platform
Type of Job
$87,000 - $105,000
May 18, 2021
About the job
The National Wildlife Federation is looking for a software developer for our new Garden for Wildlife™ E Commerce Business (GFWE) division to work in our Reston, VA office. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions). The ideal candidate is a self-driven and independent software developer who is excited about building engaging visually appealing interfaces in a cloud-based environment from vision to production-ready system. This role is more than just coding. The GFWE’s mission is to expand consumer access to native plants, scale the conservation impact, and create an engaged and diverse community of gardeners. We are looking for a front-end developer who is a lifelong learner and is excited by new challenges. We want you to use your passion to innovate, learn new tools and techniques and identify improvements to promote the conservation goals.
About The National Wildlife Federation
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
- Establish and maintain web standards to develop dynamic web features and functionalities
- Develop responsive web pages, content templates, graphics, multimedia and web components
- Continually improve the quality of UI code, site usability and navigation
- Review site performance data and ADA compliance data to inform development
- Operate as a member of an agile development team
- Collaborate with product owners to ensure features and changes meet business requirements
- You will learn, grow professionally, contribute to an amazing team, and play a key role in fueling a massive change in how we make conservation more accessible and attainable.
- At least 3+ years of experience with full life cycle Agile software development on cloud infrastructure following Agile methodology
- Experience Designing, prototyping, developing, and implementing scalable mobile-first UI/UX solutions using a number of digital frameworks and strategies
- Experience with managing software development projects in Salesforce (Shopify a bonus) to create creating scalable systems and frameworks
- Experience in developing web applications with XML, HTML, HTML5, CSS, JSON, TypeScript, or jQuery
- Experience with the design and development of Graphic User Interfaces (GUI)
- Experience with Visual Design tools, including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, or design tools
- Experience with developing prototypes, wireframes, or graphical mockups
Equally important non-technical skills
- Strong communication, collaboration, and documentation skills
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work autonomously with minimal direction
- Keeps up-to-date with industry standards and best practices. This includes, but is not limited to, mobile web, security, accessibility, and usability
Nice If You Have
- Experience with user engagement to gather feedback and capture requirements
- Possession of excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Data visualization experience a plus
What we’ll give you
- The salary range for this position is currently $87,000 - $105,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
- A positive, collaborative, supportive and flexible work environment that encourages experimentation and creativity
- The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
- We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at org/equity.
- If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
- The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.