Foundation Relations Associate
Type of Job
Dec 3, 2021
About the job
Earthworks is a U.S. nonprofit with a 34-year track record of helping communities secure protections of their health, land, air, water, and climate from extractive industries. We are the only national organization to focus exclusively on preventing the destructive impacts of oil and gas extraction and hardrock mining. We expose the harmful impacts of mineral extraction and methane, amplify local voices in state, federal and international policy debates, and advocate for a just, clean, and equitable energy transition that relies less on new mining.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Our Board and staff understand that promoting anti-racism and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement. As part of this commitment, the Earthworks Philanthropy Team integrates goals for equitably funding frontline partners into our strategic and annual plans.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Are you passionate about climate change and environmental justice? Do you enjoy writing? Are you comfortable collaborating remotely with a team on projects? Would you like to learn more about fundraising and philanthropy? The Foundation Relations Associate assists Earthworks’ 5-person development team in raising $8M+ annually from foundations and individual donors. This role will focus on grant writing and reporting, information management, and maintaining Earthworks’ foundation relations schedule.
The Foundation Relations Associate will work closely with Earthworks’ Foundation Relations Manager, who will provide guidance and training opportunities. This position will:
- Assist in stewarding foundation relationships toward a longer-term goal of managing a grant portfolio
- Collaborate with program teams on grant writing and reporting
- Organize and update core organizational information required by foundations
- Conduct foundation research and prepare briefs as needed
- Support Earthworks’ goals of resourcing frontline partners equitably
- Maintain Earthworks’ foundation relations calendar, files, and Salesforce data
- Help monitor program indicators and measures of success for reporting purposes
- Support a culture of philanthropy at Earthworks through Philanthropy team goals and projects
- Provide administrative support to the Philanthropy Director and Team as needed
Key Experience and Qualities for this position
- Able to synthesize complex ideas into clear and engaging written materials
- Excellent writing and editing skills that show an attention to detail and an ability to tell a story
- Strong verbal skills and emotional intelligence, with an ability to ask questions, listen, empathize and give and receive constructive feedback
- Project management and scheduling skills, including an ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines
- Able to work effectively both independently and in collaboration with others
- Able to anticipate and solve problems, with a learning orientation that aims for continuous improvement
- Familiarity with project management software, online research tools such as iwave and Foundation Directory Online, and CRMs like Salesforce is a plus
- 1-3 years of experience in fundraising or a comparable field is preferred but not essential
We seek staff who
- Succeed and thrive in environments with competing and changing priorities
- Have track records of building solid, collaborative working relationships across differences and who enjoy and are committed to collaboration
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Are committed to embedding equity in all organizational internal practices and culture, as well as our programs
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are self-starters with strong attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Are active learners who independently seek new tools and learn work processes quickly
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $52,000-$55,000 annually. This is a remote position, and applicants can be located anywhere in the US. Earthworks provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, and paid parental leave. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualiﬁed disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online with a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample 1-3 pages in length. Your writing sample could be a blog, letter of inquiry, letter-to-the-editor, thank-you letter, short-essay, or other example of professional writing.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Earthworks is closed from December 22, 2021 through January 2, 2022. Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled starting in January 2022.