Finance Systems Manager
Remote with limited travel
Type of Job
Estimated at $80k-$90k yearly; based on experience
Nov 15, 2023
About the job
Title: Finance Systems Manager
Supervisor: Financial Controller
Location: Remote with limited travel
Employment Type: Full- Time
Salary: Estimated at $80k-$90k yearly; based on experience
The mission of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is to conserve birds and their habitats – the places birds need to thrive – across the Americas. We are a growing group of 125+ dedicated staff, located across the United States and with a network of partners from Canada to Chile. Over nearly 30 years, we have collaboratively delivered an expanding array of results aimed at preventing bird species extinctions and reversing declines that are reducing populations of nearly all bird groups. Our work is guided by both science and our principles, which include a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
The Finance Department is moving from our current accounting software; Financial Edge to NetSuite, and implementing an ambitious combined finance and grant management system. The Grants and Finance manager will take an active role in this transition process and act as the primary administrator of the new system.
The ideal candidate is a team player and a great communicator, and able to work with a range of accounting and non-accounting staff on financial issues.
The Finance systems manager will be at the center of the ABC Finance team’s systems
· Play a leading role in Netsuite implementation, currently planned to go live 1/1/2024
· Effective day to day operation of the Netsuite Finance system, housekeeping, grant reporting. Technical expert to continuously improve reporting and build and share knowledge
· Work closely with Grant manager/Contract data manager to support Pyango Grant management (software add-in) module within Netsuite to secure performance of the unified system
· Manage all data interfaces with supporting system for payroll (Paylocity), timekeeping (Replicon), credit cards.
· Training colleagues in technical financial reporting in 1:1 and small groups
· Some finance department responsibilities, including posting payroll and other journals
1. Be leading expert on financial and grant data structures, coding and business rules. Maintain appropriate system documentation.
2. Support colleagues to build and maintain financial reports. Able to continuously improve reporting and build knowledge, and effectively share that knowledge with finance and non-finance colleagues
3. Effective day to day operation of the Netsuite Finance system, user access and passwords review, housekeeping, opening/closing/maintaining Project and Grant coding.
4. Manage all data interfaces with supporting system for payroll (Paylocity), timekeeping (Replicon), credit cards. Assist in continuous improvements, likely to include upgrades and changes to fully automated interfaces. Maintain knowledge of best practice for future upgrades
5. Training colleagues in technical financial reporting techniques in 1:1 and small groups. Support Grants and Finance Manager to build best practice models for adoption on various sizes of grant
6. Assist Financial Controller with continuous updates to written financial policies and procedures, ensuring systems changes and upgrades are
7. Day to day financial tasks including:
• ASAP drawdowns (US Fish and Wildlife website for claiming funds) and training other staff
• Monthly payroll and Credit card reconciliations and uploads
8. Support the annual Budget process. Create templates for loading individual budgets and producing effective budget aggregation and data analysis tools. In the medium term, assist CFO to assess external budget software packages to interface with Netsuite, or suitable internal alternatives.
1. Senior staff in finance will meet up to twice each year in person which may involve travel within the US
2. Other duties as assigned are required from time to time
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2. Experience working in a finance team and basic knowledge of accounting entries is required. Experience of working directly with accounting ledgers, accessing information and drawing data is required.
3. Experience building, improving and managing financial software packages in a Corporate or Non Profit organization. Experience of leading system change projects an advantage.
4. Experience working in a Finance team, producing complex financial reports for Federal bodies or other major institutions is an advantage
5. Accounting department experience, posting journals, maintaining and reconciling financial ledgers is an advantage
6. Experience building budgets is an advantage
7. Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly.
8. Strong acumen in databases and cloud-based systems.
9. Authorized to work in the US or Permanent Resident.
10. Background screening required.
11. Excellent communication and teaming skills
12. Enthusiastic support for ABCs mission of protecting wild birds and their habitats, as well as for integrating justice, equity, diversity and inclusion into how we implement our work.
- Excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and employer-matched retirement savings, flexible schedule, etc.
- Paid vacation days (starting at 15 days annually and increasing to 20 days after 1 year of employment), paid holidays (including both US holidays and additional ABC holidays) and sick leave.
- Lodging, meals, and transportation covered for work-related travel away from home.
- Rental vehicle or personal mileage reimbursement where applicable.
Please apply on Paylocity.
If you have difficulties, please email your cover letter and resume to HR@abcbirds.org.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.