Finance and Operations Manager
Type of Job
$40,000 - $50,000
May 19, 2022
About the job
Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS) is hiring!
Job Announcement: Finance and Operations Manager
Posted: May 20, 2022
Closing Date: June 30, 2022
Supervised by: Executive Director
Classification: Regular, full-time (40 hours weekly)
Pay Range: $40,000-$50,000 starting salary (based on experience & qualifications)
Benefits: Generous vacation and sick leave, holidays, and medical benefits, life and disability insurance described below
Organization: Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS) is a conservation non-profit dedicated to providing stewardship to protected public lands across eight states in the Southern Appalachian region. Founded in 2010, SAWS partners with federal agencies, including the Forest Service, to supplement existing stewardship efforts and provide additional support for training, skill-building, and community engagement. SAWS works to support safe, equitable access to public lands, preserve natural resources, and develop the next generation of conservation stewards. SAWS is headquartered in Asheville, NC with an office in Roanoke, VA.
SAWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides a drug-free workplace. SAWS values a safe, inclusive work environment, free from discrimination of any kind. We are committed to working towards equity in the outdoors and in conservation, including by celebrating diversity, fostering inclusivity, and recognizing and working to address past injustices and barriers to equitable access. Learn more about SAWS.
Position: SAWS is hiring a full-time finance and operations manager preferably based out of one of our two offices but may also work remotely within the SAWS’ footprint. The successful incumbent will work as a cooperative team member to ensure the long-range vitality of SAWS through careful, accurate management of all organizational finances and through skilled operational and administrative leadership. This position will be a valued member of the SAWS core leadership team and reports to the executive director. The incumbent will need a strong understanding of non-profit finance and accounting as well as the ability to ramp up work productivity during in the spring during the busy season. This job is ideal for someone who is detail-oriented, independent, and excels in task management.
Financial Management: This position is responsible for overall financial management of the organization including:
- Administer all financial plans and agreements and monitor progress and changes to organizational cash flow.
- Prepare and clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements including fund balance, sources and uses of funds, and budget vs. actual statistics for the executive director, board of directors, and staff.
- Manage the day-to-day and overall accounting and bookkeeping for the organization including accounts payable and receivable, banking, and payroll functions.
- Ensure timely and accurate payment of all bills, expense reports, contract fees, dues, etc.
- Lead development and presentation of the annual budget in conjunction with the executive director.
- Work with a CPA firm and other contractors to prepare and submit necessary items for completion of the annual tax return, annual financial audit, 990 preparation, and other annual state reports and renewals (i.e., corporate and charitable renewals).
- Work to ensure SAWS’ accounting system and QuickBooks procedures are set up and running efficiently, minimizing time required to perform duties.
- Conduct monthly grants and agreements management and invoicing, coordinating with staff as needed. This includes creating grant-specific invoices required for grant reimbursements using QuickBooks, coordinating with staff to prepare financial reports, managing matching funds and providing needed documentation, ensuring accurate coding of bills, tracking proof of our indirect rate, and working with program managers to prepare grant reports.
- Track the use of restricted and unrestricted funds and produce quarterly revenue reports.
- Handle the revenue for all development initiatives including processing and tracking all forms of donations.
- Prepare and submit monthly Sales Tax report.
- Join the board of director’s finance committee calls and keep finance committee minutes.
- Conduct new hire onboarding for all new and returning staff. Provide all new hire information to payroll vendor.
- Prepare and process payroll through the payroll vendor and record payroll journal entry in Quickbooks.
- Work with vendors to administer health insurance and other benefits for employees.
- Keep insurance policies up-to-date and in line with organizational needs including labor law updates and workplace requirements.
- Responsible for management of telephone and internet services, connecting with building management and vehicle inspections and regular maintenance service, etc.
- Serve as the point of contact and manage contracts and agreements for vendors, contractors, consultants, landlords, and other external parties.
- Maintain some IT duties including website updates as well as overall internet security and computer backup programs.
- Manage databases for volunteer, donor, and supporter information
- Provide support for board and committee meetings.
- Support policy and procedure research and development of employee manual.
- Provide support to the board for organizational record keeping.
- Maintain records of all agreements and contracts.
- Maintain employee files and record.
- Provide administrative support for fundraising efforts such as donor tracking, recognition, and sending tax donation letters.
- QuickBooks experience.
- Expert proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
- Detail and systems oriented.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to take ownership and drive activities to completion.
- Able to employ flexibility and creativity in the face of challenge or change.
- Proven ability to manage multiple complex programs (prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines in a time-constrained environment) with minimal supervision.
- Background in finance, accounting, business, nonprofit management, or similar area.
- Experience in financial management, nonprofit, and operations management.
- Enthusiasm for the SAWS mission.
- A shared commitment to our values.
The requirements listed above are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. If you have many of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to this position. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
The compensation is $40,000-50,000 starting salary for this full-time work based on qualifications and experience. Any work-related expenses for travel will be paid for by SAWS. We offer the following benefits and are happy to share our Employee Handbook:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. Health: Employee pays 20% of monthly premium, 50% of premium for dependents. Dental & Vision: Employee pays 100% of premiums.
- Life and disability insurance.
- Generous leave accrual and holiday pay. Total vacation is accrued over time and increases with time served at the organization. 1-2 years has 20 vacation days per year, 3-5 years has 25 vacation days per year, and 6+ years has 30 vacation days per year. There are 14 paid holidays for each employee. Time off may be granted for employees who desire to observe another religious holiday.
- Sick leave: Total sick leave accrued over time for a total of 7 days (or 56 hours) per year.
- Wellness hours: One hour a week to use for personal wellness.
- Bereavement pay: Three days of bereavement pay in addition to paid family and standard annual leave.
- Parental Leave. Two weeks of paid family leave in addition to standard annual leave. Up to 16 weeks of parental leave along with flexible work arrangements.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Professional development opportunities with financial support options.
How to Apply
Please email a detailed cover letter and resume highlighting your interest in the position to SAWS’ Executive Director, Kaitlin de Varona at email@example.com. Feel free to reach out with any questions.