Finance and Operations Associate
Type of Job
May 10, 2023
About the job
Earthworks is looking for a Finance and Operations Associate to assist Earthworks in maintaining and supporting our accounting processes. This is a mid-level, experienced individual who collaborates with and reports to the Finance and Operations Director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Cash receipts and disbursements processing including administration of vendor invoices using accounting and bill payment software
- Support in processing bi-weekly payroll and benefit deposits
- Categorize and post Quickbooks allocations in collaboration with the Finance and Operations Director to ensure accurate coding and reporting for expenses and salaries
- With guidance from the Finance & Operations Director and program staff, track grant spending
- Weekly sort and distribute to relevant parties mail received at our main office in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Screen and distribute queries to main telephone line and organizational email addresses
- Monthly donation reconciliation with Philanthropy team
- Maintain clear accounting records and files that are accessible to relevant staff and Earthworks’ independent auditor
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Assistance with annual independent audit, 990, and 1099 reporting
- Facilitate arrangements for two in-person board meetings each year (one in D.C. and one elsewhere in continental U.S.)
- Assist in maintenance and operations of downtown D.C. office space
- Observe present financial procedures with an eye for efficiency
- Maintain segregation of financial duties
- Support smooth and effective operations at Earthworks
Earthworks is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of mineral and energy development while promoting sustainable solutions. Earthworks stands for clean air, water, and land, healthy communities, and corporate accountability. We work for solutions that protect both the Earth’s resources and our communities. Earthworks has a primarily-remote staff of over 45 employees in over 20 states and Washington, D.C.
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks Board and staff understand that promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal-opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthworks we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Prior experience with Quickbooks Online
- Understanding and skill in non-profit accounting
- Analytical skills, attention to detail, and accuracy
- Proactive and patient at problem solving and troubleshooting
- Washington, D.C.-area based
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines
- Commitment to environmental, human rights, and social issues
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Familiarity with Salesforce, bill pay software, and software and tools to support virtual workplaces
- Comfort with planning and coordinating travel for bi-annual board meetings
- Interest/ experience in refining and improving finance and operations processes
- Openness to ongoing learning of non-profit finances
Location, Travel, and COVID-19
Although Earthworks operates as a virtual organization, the location requirement for this position is in the Washington, D.C. area. This candidate will have to visit the downtown D.C. office at least once a week. Some domestic travel will be required, approximately 2-3 times a year.
Earthworks COVID-19 policies prioritize the health and safety of our employees and the need to minimize the public health threat from COVID-19. Earthworks requires all those hired to provide proof of full vaccination (vaccination and booster) against COVID-19. New hires who have disabilities that make the vaccine medically inadvisable or those who have a sincere religious belief that the vaccine is impermissible may request an accommodation by contacting Lezlie Griffin, Director of Talent and Equity, at email@example.com. Accommodation will be provided only as required by applicable law.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $66,000-$72,000 annually, depending on experience. Earthworks provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including employer-paid medical, vision, dental, life, and disability insurance. Additionally, Earthworks offers unlimited paid leave, paid parental leave, and a 403(b) retirement plan (with a 5% match after one year of employment). After seven years of employment, staff are eligible for a 12 week, fully paid sabbatical.
How to Apply
We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, people with disabilities, and bilingual individuals. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that applicants with disabilities may participate in the application and interview process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Apply online at https://www.careers-page.com/earthworks-2/job/L596W753 only, including a cover letter and resume.
Qualified applicants can expect to complete three interview stages: an initial phone interview, a virtual panel interview, and a virtual final interview. We’ll also request a list of three professional references after the second stage of the interview process.