Hamilton, New Jersey
Type of Job
$47,500 - $60,000
Jul 2, 2021
About the job
Position: Field Organizer
Status: Full Time Exempt
Reports to: Campaigns Director
The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (New Jersey LCV), is a non-partisan, non-profit (C)(4) organization that is the statewide political voice for the environment. We elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices, advocate for strong environmental policies, and hold our elected officials accountable to safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state, and the strength of our economy.
New Jersey LCV seeks a full-time Field Organizer to cultivate and mobilize New Jersey residents in support of a multi-state and Federal campaign to enact bold climate policy and bolster state-wide support for New Jersey’s off-shore wind program. This individual must be able to work independently as well as with a dynamic team, and demonstrate comfort and success in working within multiple types of diverse communities in order to ensure maximum outcomes.
- Under the direction of the Campaigns Director, conduct New Jersey LCV organizing in tandem with and support of the Federal Climate Campaign Manager’s initiatives on current multi-state and Federal efforts to collaborate on and benefit from federal stimulus, infrastructure and environmental policies.
- Recruit, train, manage, and cultivate volunteers for effective collective action including phone outreach, signature petition drives, texting, in-person education activities (when conditions allow), earned media, and storytelling.
- Coordinate and plan volunteer engagement events.
- In conjunction with the Policy Department, coordinate New Jersey LCV statewide initiatives with key elected federal officials for engagement on environmental policies.
- Conduct educational forums and community outreach to support off-shore wind in New Jersey.
- Collaborate and plan advocacy with offshore wind allies to ensure broad state-wide wind support.
- Assume a significant role in our new volunteer initiative, coming up to speed to help direct the growing program.
- Develop and provide strategic input and feedback to the Campaigns Director on campaign plans, targets, strategies and tactics.
- Track metrics of all volunteer engagement and regularly submit status reports to direct supervisor.
- Conduct outreach to local environmental organizations, community/senior centers, religious affiliates, housing cooperatives, high schools/universities, and businesses.
- Ensure all activities are conducted in a manner consistent with state and federal regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Basic understanding of, and ability to navigate political landscape in New Jersey
- Demonstrated success recruiting volunteer activists and mobilizing public support, particularly in environmentally challenged communities
- Prior experience with field organizing and designing grassroots organizing campaigns
- Prior work with immigrant communities, communities of color, or related work experience highly preferred
- Working knowledge of Voter Activation Network (VAN) and Catalist preferred
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to environmental conservation and equity
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- Personable, dependable team player
- Bi-lingual Spanish language skills given strong preference
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Hamilton, NJ however, travel throughout New Jersey will be necessary so a valid driver’s license and access to a car are required. This person must be able to maintain a flexible schedule common to campaigns.
This position is supported by grant funding through December 24, 2021, with the possibility of continuation dependent upon additional funding.
Salary Range: $47,500 - $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package
To apply:Please send your resume and cover letter to FieldOrganizer@njlcv.org with “Field Organizer” in the subject line. No calls please. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
New Jersey LCV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, genetics, disability, age, marital status, familial status, domestic partnership status, civil union status, pregnancy, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait status, or veteran status.