Type of Job
Jan 18, 2023
About the job
PennFuture’s Field Team aims to build a nonpartisan volunteer army in the Commonwealth. The Field Coordinator for Central Pennsylvania is primarily responsible for building a sustainable volunteer advocacy program across Dauphin and Cumberland County’s, with particular attention on the Harrisburg metropolitan region and geographies stretching into the northern half of Lancaster. The Coordinator reports to the Field Director and serves as the principal point of contact for the region’s activists, organizations, and volunteers. The Coordinator will leverage a suite of community engagement tactics to build volunteer teams, including petitions, events, tabling, speaking engagements, and other in-person and online advocacy tools.
The position is non-political, non-partisan, and full-time exempt at PennFuture, a 501(c)3 environmental advocacy organization in Pennsylvania. The Coordinator will also conduct work for our allies at Conservation Voters of Pennsylvania (CVPA) from time to time.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE:
PennFuture knows that to achieve our mission, we need to ensure that all Pennsylvanians have equitable access to clean air, clean water, a stable climate, and a clean and sustainable economy. We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organizational culture, policies, practices, and programs. Like the environmental and conservation movement writ large, we have historically fallen short in our efforts to build a truly equitable Pennsylvania. Our vision is to center equity and justice in everything we do as well as to combat systems of oppression and injustices that have long harmed Pennsylvania’s environmental justice communities.
● Manage regional volunteer recruitment and engagement to advance PennFuture’s policy goals.
● Represent PennFuture with local environmental and activist groups.
● Identify ways to use PennFuture resources to support the work of local groups.
● Utilize those relationships to expand PennFuture’s visibility in the region, to build political power, and to win environmental fights, etc.
● Implement grassroots tactics to engage prospective volunteers and help to transition them to become volunteer leaders
● Mobilize and train citizen advocates in key legislative districts.
● Become a leader in local coalitions and begin new coalitions and advocacy groups as necessary.
Advocates for Conservation and the Environment (ACE) Program:
● Leverage volunteer recruitment as part of PennFuture’s ACE program to facilitate engagement of constituents with their elected officials on prominent statewide environmental policy issues.
● Develop working knowledge of PennFuture’s environmental policy priorities and issues.
● Leverage in-house policy expertise as well as cultivate experts in policy issues to supplement that knowledge.
● Develop an ongoing list of shared local policy priorities for PennFuture and allies.
● Build relationships with local elected officials in the South Central PA from municipal to state legislative positions.
● Build relationships with local reporters and influencers.
● Work with digital staff to use email lists and social media tools throughout the region.
● Monitor and update local social presence—engage with local groups, activists and candidates.
● Work with Field Director and other Senior Staff to develop action alerts and press releases as needed based on issues related to the region.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
● 2 - 5 years of relevant professional experience in political campaigns, grassroots organizing, or advocacy/issue campaign work
● Collaborative spirit. Must be a personable, dependable team player.
● Strong commitment and enthusiasm to PennFuture’s mission and demonstrated commitment to advancing environmental protection and conservation with vision and results
● Strong understanding of South Central PA and regional environmental issues.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
● Excellent personal organizational and time management skills.
● Demonstrated ability to recruit volunteer activists and mobilize public support
● Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities of color participation in U.S. democracy.
LOCATION, SALARY, AND BENEFITS:
This is a Central Pennsylvania position and is based out of the Harrisburg office. PennFuture has shifted to a hybrid work model with staff working from home as well as working in an office and/or in the field.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $40,000 to $45,000. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, 12 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid sick leave, 5 weeks paid vacation, and a 403(b)-retirement plan.
PennFuture encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color, and persons with nontraditional work and educational experience. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
PennFuture requires proof of vaccination against Covid-19 as a condition of employment but, in some circumstances, we may provide an exemption based on a medical condition that precludes vaccination or because of a deeply held religious conviction.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit your cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “FIELD COORDINATOR” in the subject line.