Type of Job
Dec 18, 2021
About the job
Earthworks is a U.S. nonprofit with a 34-year track record of helping communities secure protections of their health, land, air, water, and climate from extractive industries. We are the only national organization to focus exclusively on preventing the destructive impacts of oil and gas extraction and hardrock mining. We expose the harmful impacts of mineral extraction and methane, amplify local voices in state, federal and international policy debates, and advocate for a just, clean, and equitable energy transition that relies less on new mining.
Earthworks' Field Team conducts fieldwork in oil and gas producing regions using Optical Gas Imaging (OGI) cameras. OGI cameras make otherwise invisible oil and gas emissions visible, and are industry-standard tools used by regulators and the oil and gas industry.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Field Assistant will assist Earthworks’ Field Team with compiling data, preparation of presentations related to the compiled data, trip planning, arranging travel for the Field Team, and ensuring the team has all of the necessary equipment available for fieldwork. The Field Assistant will also be responsible for the purchase, maintenance, and expense tracking for the equipment the Field Team uses.
The Field Assistant will report to and work closely with Earthworks’ Field Associate, who will provide guidance and training opportunities. This position will:
- Assist with compiling field data, maintaining Salesforce database, Dropbox and shared data and information resources and supporting Field Advocates in preparing presentations, filing and tracking complaints, etc.
Travel and Trips
- With the Field Team, plan effective trips to priority locations, scheduling and running trip planning and debrief meetings, updating the field team calendar, and being on call to support staff in the field as needed during trips.
- Conduct research on oil and gas facilities in priority regions in advance of trips as needed
- Create and maintain maps for each trip and region.
- Manage travel logistics, including arranging air and ground transportation, booking lodging, meeting spaces, food and other travel needs.
- Ensure that safety equipment and personal protective gear are on site during trips.
- Coordinate Field Team equipment purchases and maintenance
- Track Field Team travel and equipment expenses.
- Maintain inventory of Field Team equipment
Key Experience and Qualities for this position
- Strong organizational skills and/or experience with data collection and management.
- Self-starter with a commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Strong verbal skills and emotional intelligence, with an ability to ask questions, listen, empathize and give and receive constructive feedback
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to multitask
- Able to work effectively both independently and in collaboration with others
- Able to anticipate and solve problems, with a learning orientation that aims for continuous improvement
- Familiarity with CRMs like Salesforce is a plus
- Field experience is helpful, but not required
We seek staff who:
- Succeed and thrive in environments with competing and changing priorities
- Have track records of building solid, collaborative working relationships across differences and who enjoy and are committed to collaboration
- Are committed to embedding equity in all organizational internal practices and culture, as well as our programs
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity
- Are active learners who independently seek new tools and learn work processes quickly
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $52,000-$54,000 annually. This is a remote position, and applicants can be located anywhere in the US. Earthworks provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, and paid parental leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online with a cover letter and resume.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Earthworks is committed to challenging and dismantling systemic oppression. Earthworks’ Board and staff understand that promoting anti-racism and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) both within and beyond Earthworks is critical to carrying out our mission to protect communities and the environment from the adverse impacts of resource extraction. We understand that our commitment to DEI means a dedication to constant learning and improvement.
Earthworks welcomes applications from diverse candidates and is an equal opportunity employer. Earthworks evaluates employees and applicants for employment on merit, competence, and qualifications and does not tolerate discrimination.