Fellowship Recruitment and Inclusion Manager
Remote, SF Bay Area, Boston, or NYC
Type of Job
80,000 - 105,000
Apr 22, 2022
About the job
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
Activate Fellows have launched 74 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $537M in follow-on funding, created more than 400 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
The Activate Fellowship is expanding quickly, and with it, our ability to support more fellows each year. The Fellow Recruitment and Inclusion Manager will develop and execute an annual strategic plan to attract, inform, and engage potential fellows, particularly those from underrepresented and historically excluded communities. They will lead Activate’s fellow recruitment efforts, building partnerships to expand our reach, representing Activate at in-person and virtual events, co-creating digital campaigns to connect with new audiences, and designing the systems and processes to enable a positive applicant experience. This person will also support the fellow selection process, with an eye toward creating and utilizing systems to guide and track the effectiveness and efficiency of recruitment and selection strategies. This role is part of the fellowship functional team and reports to the Fellowship Project Manager.
- Lead development, management, execution, and improvement of a comprehensive, year-round fellowship applicant outreach strategy, based on a thorough analysis of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) results and needs, past efforts, and goals for future cohorts—including managing the annual fellow recruitment calendar, budget, and interns
- Manage the entire outreach and engagement cycle using collaborative tools, such as Asana and Airtable, and collaborate cross-functionally to execute tasks ranging from honing messaging to designing systems to collecting and analyzing potential applicant information.
- Cultivate and manage external networks needed to recruit and select culturally, economically, and racially diverse fellows, including hundreds of applicant pipeline partners and technical application reviewers.
- Manage all applicant data and data management processes, including setting applicant targets, tracking engagement outcomes across several sources, and analyzing the data to inform real-time outreach and future strategy.
- Serve as the point of contact for the Activate Fellowship at both internally- and externally-led outreach events.
The Ideal Candidate ...
- Has 5-7 years or a proven track record of marketing and outreach. We prefer candidates with experience in digital marketing.
- Has knowledge of and/or experience working with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) communities.
- Is a natural connector and has experience cultivating and managing networks with culturally, economically, and racially diverse groups, and a passion for increasing access to underrepresented populations in STEM.
- Is a strong program manager with experience owning and executing large, cross-functional projects.
- Has experience and/or working knowledge of data management, analytics, and reporting. The candidate should be able to prepare dashboards, presentations, and narratives to communicate outcomes.
- Is conversant with software tools—project management, data management, customer relationship management, applicant tracking systems, or surveys—and is willing to learn from others.
- Demonstrates creativity, resourcefulness, and flexibility.
- Has exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to respect and encourage diverse perspectives.
- Believes that scientists and engineers can lead the translation of their research and discoveries into products and businesses that address some of society’s greatest problems.
- Has experience representing an organization at events and can travel widely to oversee recruitment events and outreach activities.
- While Activate is a non-profit, it more closely resembles a start-up with a rapidly changing environment. Successful candidates need to play multiple positions well, be comfortable in a results-oriented culture, and not require constant supervision to be successful.
We believe that the above experiences and characteristics represent a candidate likely to succeed in this role. If you believe you are a good fit for the role, we encourage you to apply.
About The Role
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and a comprehensive suite of benefit offerings. This position is available to remote work with a preference for placement in one of our communities: Berkeley, CA; Boston, MA; or New York City, NY.
Activate’s culture is built around the following values:
- We put people first through mutual support, respect, and continuous improvement
- We live in trust, acting with authenticity, integrity, and a presumption of good intention
- We appreciate experimentation, using data to improve, and accepting that failure and discomfort are necessary for growth
- We create value through connection and building community
- We are guided by intention and are purpose-driven to improve society
Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.