Farm-Based Educator at the Children’s Farmyard
Type of Job
Feb 15, 2022
About the job
Who We Are
Shelburne Farms is an education nonprofit on a mission to inspire and cultivate a sustainable future. We offer transformative learning experiences to help educators and students create a better world. Our home campus is a 1,400-acre working farm located on the traditional, unceded homelands—Ndakinna—of the Winooskik band of the Abenaki.
Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Shelburne Farms recognizes that justice, equity, and access are central to sustainability. We are committed to translating these values into action across the organization by improving equitable outcomes in our culture, programs, and services. Shelburne Farms is working to create experiences of belonging for all, including BIPOC, LGBTQ+ communities, people with disabilities, and people of all economic realities. We are passionate about building and sustaining a diverse and welcoming working and learning environment for all program participants, guests, and staff.
What You’ll Do
- This is a full-time seasonal position, running May 9, 2022 - October 30, 2022 and includes weekend and holiday hours. A part-time position may be considered for the right candidate.
- Work as a farm-based educator using the Shelburne Farms Children’s Farmyard as a framework to educate for sustainability.
- Greet and orient diverse audiences to the farmyard including day visitors from around the world, overnight inn guests, school groups, and summer campers.
- Lead engaging and interactive presentations and activities for large groups.
- Clean animal yards, barns, and pens as well as visitor spaces around the Farmyard.
- Assist visitors with safe and educational animal interactions.
- Assist with garden tasks while engaging visitors in your work.
- Support ongoing maintenance projects.
- Set up education spaces and plan and implement activities.
- Work with and mentor youth volunteers (ages 9-17) through positive role-modeling, observation and feedback of their facilitation and instructional skills.
- Support a continuous effort to foster a culturally aware learning community, open to multiple perspectives.
- Communicate effectively with the team to create a respectful and open work environment.
- Attend weekly meetings and explore the farm campus to gain knowledge to enhance visitor experience.
- Provide information about the Shelburne Farms campus, history, products, and services.
- Drive public tractor shuttle when needed - training provided.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Experience in education or public interpretation.
- Basic knowledge/understanding of food and farm systems.
- Commitment to the values of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Flexible and positive attitude with a willingness to learn from others.
- Dedicated to excellent guest services.
- Positive attitude and a willingness to be a contributing member of a team, while remaining flexible to changing schedules or program needs.
- Willingness to receive feedback, grow personally and professionally, and develop new skills.
- Solution-oriented mindset when faced with challenges.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Certification (training provided).
- A completed background check is a condition of employment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Outdoor work environment with varied weather conditions.
- Able to move over uneven terrain.
- Able to work with and around large farm animals.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Exposure to farm animals, hay, bedding, dust, and animal manure.
Benefits: 30% discount on all farm products.
Time: Full or Part Time
Reporting To: Family Program Coordinator/Children's Farmyard Manager
How To Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter and contacts for three references to ChildrensFarmyard@shelburnefarms.org. In the subject line, please include the position you are applying for.
In your cover letter, please address:
- Why are you interested in this position?
- How do your experiences, values, and/or efforts demonstrate your commitment to the values of diversity, justice, and equity?
- How did you hear about the position?
All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential. We will begin reviewing applications the first week of March. Positions will be open until filled. Shelburne Farms is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.