Facilities and Resources Manager
Type of Job
Low to Mid $60Ks
Jan 7, 2022
About the job
The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks a full-time Facilities and Resources Manager to ensure that the organization’s facilities and resources are safe, secure, clean, functional, and efficient. This exempt position will oversee, manage, and routinely maintain the organization’s buildings, grounds, workspaces/sites, equipment, and fleet of vehicles and boats; lead and implement the organization’s safety/security program; and manage the finances and physical resources for facility operations and the safety/security program. This position will also assist department and program staff with event staging; and participate in or facilitate boat tours and volunteer field events. Specific tasks may include: general repairs and upkeep, landscaping, mowing, supply purchases, negotiating contracts with service providers, inventory and capital improvement tracking and budgeting, convening a safety committee, and other tasks as assigned. The manager will oversee the work of contractors and vendors and will serve as a point of contact to land/property owners of workspaces/sites. The Facilities and Resources Manager is a member of the Operations Team, works directly with the Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, and works collaboratively across the organization.
The Facilities and Resources Manager is an integral part of the organization and is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the watershed’s restoration and the engagement of diverse communities, partners, and other stakeholders to deliver on our mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed by bringing partners and communities together to achieve a clean and safe Anacostia River for the benefit of all living in its watershed and for future generations.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 30 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning non-profit, with an annual budget of $3 million, that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different communities within the 176 square mile region of the Washington, D.C. metro area.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society works with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia River Watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
1. Facilities and Resources: Oversee, manage, coordinate, and implement the upkeep of facilities (i.e. buildings/grounds/workspaces/sites) and resources (i.e. vehicles/trailers, boats, docks, equipment, supplies, etc.).
2. Safety and Security:Lead, assess, and implement the organization’s safety and security program and protocols with cross-organization collaboration.
3. Finances and Risk Management: Forecast, allocate, and manage the finances and physical resources for the organization’s facility operations and safety/security program.
4. Events/Programming: Assist departments and program teams with staging, take down, and stowing of event materials; site preparation; and on-site material delivery. Participate in or facilitate boat trips and volunteer field events as needed.
5. Participate in other special projects, organization-wide efforts and tasks as assigned.
· Interest and/or experience in facilities and resources management, maintenance, and repairs; enthusiastic for and comfortable in the outdoors; and demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and passion for environmental sustainability.
· Basic competency in facilities and equipment maintenance and management.
· General trade skills, such as landscaping, irrigation, basic carpentry, boat repairs, driving a pickup truck and trailer small engine and tool maintenance, and facility upkeep skills.
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and time management skills.
· Ability to work with and provide excellent customer service internally and externally to people of all ages, especially experience working in a metropolitan area.
· Self-motivation, innovation, resourcefulness, and cooperative team player in doing whatever it takes to get the job done well.
· Willing, motivated, and able to work a flexible schedule that includes frequent evenings and weekends, work in the field and on the water, often being outside in variable weather, travel, and driving to work facilities, spaces, and sites.
· Physical work required (i.e. ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds).
· Boating and paddling experience strongly preferred. Comfort on the water and in the field required.
· CPR/First Aid Certification desired and a plus.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
· High school diploma and or equivalent experience; demonstrated passion and relevant experience in environmental learning, land management, or recreation.
· Additional experience and or education in facilities management, boat/vehicle maintenance and operations, administration, natural resource management, environmental science, parks and recreation, or other environmental/conservation field is a plus, but not a requirement.
· Experience in project management, logistical support, and working with staff and volunteers.
· Microsoft Office Skills (i.e. Word, Excel, etc.)
· Medium to heavy lifting (such as canoes, kayaks, landscaping material, Shad and Mussel hatcheries, etc.).
· Ability to operate a vehicle; valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
We are offering a competitive compensation package that includes a competitive base salary and benefits package. Salary range is between low to mid $60Ks depending on level of experience.
Interested applicants should email a résumé formally expressing your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AWS encourages and embraces diversity.