Type of Job
About the job
The Missouri Coalition for the Environment (MCE) is searching for a full-time Executive Director.
Location: Greater St. Louis region preferred; open to Missouri-based remote
Salary Range: $70,000-90,000
MCE is a statewide leader that has been educating, organizing, and advocating in defense of Missouri’s people and their environment for over 50 years. MCE is actively working to eliminate social and racial injustice by advancing the right of every person to clean air, clean water, clean energy and sustainably sourced food. The organization has a strong reputation and track record of taking legal action as an environmental watchdog and a history of being agile and collaborating with partners statewide to support policy initiatives and incubate new, impactful programs (some that have even been spun out into their own organizations). As MCE looks towards its next 50 years, this position offers a unique opportunity to work with a knowledgeable board and motivated staff to define the strategic vision for MCE and its role as an environmental leader and partner in Missouri.
The ideal candidate will be strategic and visionary. They will have a demonstrated ability to build relationships and bring different stakeholders together as part of a coordinated effort to execute on a plan. They will have an entrepreneurial spirit and are excited to wear a lot of different hats, including strategic planner, fundraiser, agency spokesperson, and staff mentor/supporter. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion for Missouri’s environment, environmental protection, and environmental justice. They will feel confident evaluating and prioritizing new opportunities that are presented to MCE, balancing the need for focus and flexibility, and are comfortable taking strong, well-informed public stances on issues. They have successfully developed and managed a team previously, fostering a collaborative, transparent, equitable, and inclusive culture, and value organizational development for supporting efficiency, consistency, and success.
- Working with the board and staff to shape a multicultural vision for MCE and define and implement the agency’s strategic plan
- Advocating for Missouri’s environment and serving as the face of the organization to a variety of constituents, including volunteers, staff, board members, government officials, media, partners, and community members
- Continuing MCE’s efforts to dismantle systemic racism and eliminate social and racial injustice in the context of the greater environmental movement
- Leading fundraising functions of the organization in collaboration with the development director, including grants, special events, and individual donor and membership development
- Collaborating with partners (e.g., environmental law clinics, local agencies, issue specific agencies) and stewarding new relationships statewide to support or lead efforts to advance the right of every person to clean air, clean water, clean energy, and healthy food
- Managing the organization’s business functions and financial operations, including day-to-day management of staff, budgets, and programs
- Developing an internal infrastructure, including hiring additional staff, to support successful implementation of the strategic plan
- Managing, coaching, and developing a team of staff, board members, and volunteers
- Fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable staff and workplace culture, including facilitating agency-wide anti-racist policies, procedures, and programming
Desired Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3+ years of leadership and management experience with a collaborative, empowering, and transparent style
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, equitable and inclusive team building and staff development, and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders to accomplish a common goal
- Prior responsibility for a project or organization’s financial operations and success in fundraising, including individual donor development and grant management
- Experience in an environmentally, politically, or advocacy focused organization; experience in nonprofit and/or Missouri-based organizations preferred
- Exceptional critical thinking, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
About Missouri Coalition for the Environment
Mission: To educate, organize, and advocate in defense of Missouri’s people and their environment.
Missouri Coalition for the Environment (MCE) is a non-profit, non-partisan, 501(c)(3) state-level conservation and advocacy organization that educates and activates Missourians to protect our natural resources. Formed in 1969 from the St. Louis Conference on the Environment at the Missouri Botanical Garden, MCE was the first environmental citizen-based action group in the state. MCE’s programs focus on advancing the right of every person to clean air, clean water, clean energy, and healthy food. Today, MCE’s main programs include the Water Program and the Food and Farm Program. The Water Program focuses on three overarching areas: defending the Clean Water Act; decreasing flooding by protecting our precious remaining floodplains and wetlands; and protecting our big rivers. The Food and Farm Program advocates for sustainable agriculture and policies that promote local and environmentally responsible food systems. MCE currently has 8 staff members (4 full-time; 4 part-time) and an annual budget of $600,000.
Interested individuals should apply via email by sending a cover letter that summarizes qualifications and interest along with a resume/CV to Abby Cohen, Principal of Mac & Co, to email@example.com with the subject “MCE Executive Director Search”
More information about MCE can be found at moenvironment.org. For questions or additional information about this opportunity, please contact:
Mac & Co
MCE believes that we are all at our best when we are engaging with, and learning from, a diversity of individuals and communities, including those who have been marginalized and underrepresented in the environmental movement. We strongly encourage folks from immigrant communities and communities of color, as well as those who identify as women, LGBTQ or under-resourced to apply. Employment decisions at MCE are based solely on individuals' abilities and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national origin, marital status, religious persuasion, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.