Events & Outreach Associate (Hybrid/Remote)
Type of Job
Jun 23, 2022
About the job
The Events and Outreach Associate has the opportunity to be creative, collaborative, detail-oriented and innovative. This is a shared position between Washington Environmental Council (WEC) and Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) and a key member of the Development (fundraising) team. This person will manage the implementation of our fundraising, stewardship and outreach events. These events support our operational and programmatic work, and create spaces for people to learn about, engage with, and support our mission. The position reports to the Business Relations and Events Manager.
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) is a nonprofit, statewide advocacy organization. For over 50 years, WEC has brought people together to solve Washington’s most critical environmental issues. WEC builds power for the environmental movement by building partnerships, mobilizing the public, connecting voters to decision makers, and taking legal action. Our mission is to protect, restore, and sustain Washington’s environment for all.
Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) ensures Washington’s decision makers keep our environment protected, healthy, and vibrant. Over the last 35 years, we have elected environmental champions, held our elected leaders to the highest standard, and built statewide momentum for environmental campaigns through innovative voter outreach efforts and community organizing. WCV is committed to making sure all people in Washington state have a healthy environment and a strong, sustainable economy.
By effectively combining the policy know-how of WEC with the political know-how of WCV, we have reshaped how environmental protection is achieved in Washington. With one shared CEO, our organizations work in partnership as each pursues its unique mission. Combined, we have nearly 40 staff and work in a LEED-certified building in downtown Seattle with a view of Elliott Bay. Given the pandemic we are working remotely and foresee doing that for an indefinite period of time. Our teams have access to a variety of online tools and systems that support working remotely. Our expectation is that we will eventually return to some schedule of safely working together in our downtown office.
We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference. We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment and people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply. We continue to advance the application of a racial equity lens to our work, and are led by a CEO who is a woman of color.
Manage the design, planning and execution of WEC and WCV annual signature fundraising event that prioritizes meeting fundraising goals, building community and leaving guests feeling connected to our organizations, staff and work.
- Work with Business Relations and Events Manager to set revenue goal and strategies.
- Manage work plans, budgets, timelines.
- Manage the systems and processes to enter, track and analyze event data.
- Event Design and Production
- Help develop a compelling and inclusive program and design for events.
- Conduct research on and negotiate contracts with vendors, venues, caterers, speakers.
- Source virtual event software options, lead selection process and implement new platforms.
- Ensure events are accessible and advance our racial equity and environmental justice goals.
- Determine and implement other event-related revenue streams (such as auction, raffle).
- Communications and Marketing
- Draft event descriptions; create and maintain event websites.
- Collaborate with Comms team on the planning for and design and production of event-related assets to market the event and for other needs such as slideshows, videos and printed materials.
- Craft event related emails/communications designed to build audience/meet attendance goals.
- Audience Development/Event Attendance
- Lead processes to build audience, manage registrations and track attendance.
- Develop, organize and maintain master invite lists on Salesforce for staff and board members.
- Ensure table captain recruitment, outreach and commitments are on track to meet goals.
- Day-Of Event Management
- Manage seating plan, name tag preparation and check-in systems (for in-person events).
- Manage timeline, set-up, close-out, supplies, logistics, troubleshooting.
- Coordinate staff roles. Recruit and manage event volunteers and interns (if needed).
- Train staff, volunteers, interns on event software and technology.
- Take lead on technology aspects of virtual events.
- Post-Event Responsibilities
- Manage and implement gift entry process + acknowledgement and thank you processes.
- Track down outstanding pledges.
- Produce report on event performance, ROI and year-over-year performance.
- Solicit feedback from board, staff and guests.
- Assess overall success, lessons learned and identify areas to improve or change next time.
- Ensure income and expenses are reconciled in Salesforce and QuickBooks.
Lead and/or support other fundraising and stewardship events designed to deepen relationships and engage new supporters in our work. This includes political fundraising events, house parties and other small gatherings of donors, as well as stewardship events including our Election Night Dinner and various briefings.
- Help in building audience by recruiting and working with event co-hosts and guests.
- Provide input on best ways to achieve revenue goals.
- Help with planning event program.
- Manage registrations and track attendance.
- Create event sites and giving pages, track donations.
- Secure venue, coordinate food & beverage (for in-person) or platform (for virtual).
- Determine and fill staff, board, and volunteer roles as needed.
Create and implement new outreach events and activities designed to increase our reach and connect with our members, donors, sponsors, volunteers, partners and communities in new and different ways as well as providing multiple entry points in engaging with our organization.
- Work with Business Relations and Events Manager (and others) to create and implement a manageable number of new non-fundraising events. Ideas range from speaker series to Green Drinks, to partnering with other organizations around specific activities.
- Establish goals and define what success looks like for each event/activity.
- Track outreach events happening across the organization to ensure the development team and others are leveraging all that is happening
Support Other Organizational Goals and Activities
- Engage in and implement WEC & WCV’s Racial Equity and Environmental Justice work, including participating in one of our Racial Equity Teams, racial caucus and Lunch and Learns.
- Contribute to organizational excellence by fully integrating current organizational tool as well as seeking and implementing innovative new tools, processes and solutions to move our work forward.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including experience in planning successful fundraising events or managing other projects that involve multiple elements and stakeholders (i.e., board members, other staff/teams, vendors, speakers). Volunteer and internship experience applies.
- Experience managing data in a relational contact database platform, Salesforce preferred. Volunteer and internship experience applies.
- Excellent interpersonal, and verbal communications skills with the ability to be kind yet persistent.
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines, often in compressed timelines, and remain flexible under pressure.
- Ability to drive work forward independently and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, while working across teams and at all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong technical skills (with tools such as MS Office, Google Suite, project management tool, Slack) and interest in learning new technology.
- A strong commitment to racial equity, environmental justice and anti-racism.
- Experience using event management software and/or virtual event platforms.
- Experience working with or on a fundraising team, paid or volunteer.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $49,000 to $52,500 depending on experience. We also offer a generous benefits package including 100% employer paid medical and dental insurance, a 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary, an annual wellness benefit of $100, a flexible spending account, three weeks of vacation, a separate pool of sick leave, 12 paid holidays per year, four wellness days in 2022, an unlimited ORCA transit pass (on return to the office), employer paid professional development and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical. We welcome new and diverse people to a great team who together shape environmental protection in Washington.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
This job requires frequent sitting. Must be able to conduct business in English, though fluency in other languages is welcomed. For remote work, employees must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work during scheduled work hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform functions essential to the duties of the position.
Washington Conservation Voters and Washington Environmental Council is a unionized employer represented by Communications Workers of America Local 7800. This is a represented position.
The organization follows all requirements of local health authorities. We are currently working in hybrid remote mode with most staff coming to the office voluntarily. We maintain strict safety protocols while in our office. All staff who come to the office must be fully immunized against COVID-19.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume here. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WEC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply.