Evaluations Program Manager
Type of Job
Mar 4, 2022
About the job
- Reports To: Director of Research
- Status: Full-time
- Hours: 40 hours/week
- Salary: $79,749 USD annually
- Location: Remote. We can directly employ candidates in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. If the right applicant is not within those jurisdictions, we will explore a third-party employment solution.
- Paid leave (vacations and holidays): 30 days per year
We are looking for an Evaluations Program Manager to lead our research team through our charity evaluations program. This full-time position will involve planning, designing, managing, and executing charity evaluations, managing the evaluations team, and contributing to the development of ACE’s evaluations work and strategy.
Our passionate research team measures, compares, and assesses the impact of various strategies employed by animal advocacy organizations in order to provide the best possible advice to animal advocates, donors, and charities. This is primarily achieved through our Charity Evaluations program, which aims to identify highly effective animal advocacy organizations through in-depth reviews that are then promoted and supported through our respective communications and philanthropy departments.
We bring a high level of dedication, intelligence, compassion, and resourcefulness to work every day. We are an agile and fast-moving organization that shifts rapidly to meet our goals; individuals who are comfortable with a fast paced remote/virtual workplace will do well here.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to a thorough understanding of the most effective ways to help animals. The ideal candidate for this position will have strong management, communication, and reasoning skills, and will bring to ACE a relevant background (e.g., in animal advocacy, evaluation, academic research, law, economics, or another field) that differentiates their views from those of others on our team.
Key areas of responsibility
- Manage ACE’s evaluations team. You will manage a team of two to five researchers and coordinate their responsibilities during the evaluation process and throughout the year. As you oversee the team and ensure that project deadlines are met, you will provide feedback and guidance on all aspects of the team’s work, from task prioritization to how to research or write about specific topics. You will build capacity within the evaluations team by ensuring that staff are adequately challenged and given opportunities to develop professionally.
- Oversee and manage charity evaluations and recommendation decisions. You will lead our annual charity evaluation process, which provides our external audience with in-depth analyses and reviews of numerous animal advocacy organizations. Through overseeing evaluations, giving feedback, guiding team discussions, and coordinating with other departments at ACE, you will play a key role in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of our evaluations and recommendations.
- Implement continuous improvements to the evaluation process. After each round of charity evaluations, you will host a retrospective discussion and identify areas for improvement. After discussing prioritization with the Director of Research and other research staff, you will generate and subsequently implement a list of achievable modifications to increase the quality, consistency, and efficiency of the evaluation process.
- Build, maintain, and learn from relationships with external organizations. One of the most interesting aspects of our work at ACE is the opportunity to discuss strategies with various animal advocacy groups from around the world and learn from their respective approaches and successes. By regularly engaging with charities, you will foster open communication and increase the likelihood of charities engaging with and completing the evaluation process.
- Communicate ACE’s charity evaluations and related content to the public while building trust in our recommendations. You will guide ACE’s evaluations team in communicating the results of the charity evaluation process to the public through blog posts, web pages, content for ACE’s print materials, and presentations at conferences and workshops. Together with ACE’s Copy Editor and communications team, you will ensure that ACE’s evaluations program is presented in a consistent, authoritative voice that builds trust in our recommendations.
- Commitment to ACE’s mission, which is to find and promote the most effective ways to help the largest number of animals
- Four or more years of project management experience
- Two or more years of people management experience
- Ability to adhere to tight timelines and manage multiple tasks
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (or equivalent experience)
- Familiarity with the fields of animal advocacy and effective altruism
- Openness to ideas outside mainstream advocacy efforts
- Shared commitment to increasing representation/diversity, equity, and inclusion in our movement and organization, actively integrating justice and equity into the work we do
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High degree of professionalism, including discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to work independently while collaborating with many different parties
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to high-quality work
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Professional experience in animal advocacy, program evaluation, or a closely-related field
- Demonstrated ability to manage a remote team
- Deep understanding of program evaluation, social movements, social psychology, economics, or another relevant field
- Solid understanding of the animal advocacy movement
- Familiarity with the effective altruism movement
Commitment to diversity and equal employment opportunities
Animal Charity Evaluators provides equal employment opportunities and highly values diversity. As such, we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We want to engage all those who can contribute to our mission and to making an impact. We offer a mission- and employee-focused virtual work environment and a competitive compensation package.
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons living with disabilities, and people of various socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position.
Animal Charity Evaluators is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, creed or religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, body size, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, family status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), ancestry, place of origin, social condition, political belief or activity, conviction of an offense for which a pardon has been granted or in which a record suspension has been ordered, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
All applications will be processed in strict confidentiality. ACE thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Animal Charity Evaluators
Animal Charity Evaluators (ACE) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit registered in the United States dedicated to finding and promoting the most effective ways to help animals. ACE aids compassionate donors, professionals, and volunteers in making informed decisions about how to help animals as effectively as possible. We strive to identify ways to alleviate suffering and improve the lives of animals on a wide scale, while continuously updating our recommendations based on new evidence. We oppose all systems of oppression and recognize that they are connected and mutually reinforcing.