Equity and Community Engagement Manager
Type of Job
Mar 30, 2023
About the job
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is hiring an Equity and Community Engagement Manager to join our team in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, or New Mexico. While every person is affected by the climate crisis, diverse communities and Black, Indigenous, Latino/Latina, Asian, multiracial, and biracial people have borne and continue to bear a far higher burden from climate inaction. These individuals and communities have to a large degree been excluded from decision making where conservation policies are designed and advanced, which has had and continues to have a detrimental effect on many aspects of their lives. We can’t adequately or appropriately address climate change without addressing environmental justice and working closely with those most impacted by the complex problems facing disproportionately impacted communities in the Interior West.
The Equity and Community Engagement Manager will support WRA’s conservation policymaking and advocacy work through just policies that drive equitable outcomes. Reporting to the Vice President of Equity and Culture, the Equity and Community Engagement Manager will foster equity efforts by coaching and supporting WRA team members concerning shared principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, as well as authentic partnership with diverse communities, individuals, and coalitions.
About Western Resource Advocates
WRA fights climate change and its impacts to sustain the environment, economy, and people of the West. We respect the different needs of diverse people and partner with them to develop a shared vision for progress—one that advances communities while protecting biodiversity.
Our team of policy experts, scientists, economists, and attorneys has a 30-year history of working where decisions are made, sweating the details, creating evidence-based solutions, and holding decisionmakers accountable. This on the ground work with policymakers and other advocates advances clean energy, protects air, land, water, and wildlife—and sustains the lives and livelihoods of the West.
This position has the option to work remotely in the Phoenix, AZ, Carson City, NV, Santa Fe, NM, or Denver- Boulder, CO, metro areas, from one of WRA’s offices in those metro areas, or a hybrid of remote and on-site.
Responsibilities And Activities
- Work collaboratively with WRA’s staff to help identify strategic and mutually beneficial opportunities for working in partnership with disproportionately impacted communities and individuals.
- Coach, model, and serve as an equity and engagement expert and advisor for WRA staff seeking to promote equitable community engagement and improve outcomes for historically marginalized communities and individuals.
- Research, develop, and recommend strategies to foster and advance WRA’s internal and external diversity and equity goals.
- In partnership with Government Affairs and other WRA team members, establish new and support ongoing collaborative relationships with community partners, environmental justice coalitions, and government officials through outreach and engagement.
- Manage and maintain strong relationships with a broad set of stakeholders concerning issues that impact their communities.
- Monitor and analyze benchmarks and progress to show the impact and outcome of outreach and engagement efforts, as well as ongoing assessment of workplace practices.
- Occasionally travel to meetings and events, generally within the Interior West.
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position, will be considered. For example, the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities would include:
- Three to five years of experience with community engagement or organizing, including direct work experience with equity-centered policy, advocacy or community-based organizations.
- Experience building relationships with a diverse group of individuals and communities to advance public policy objectives.
- Experience creating and revising guides, tools, and templates to advance equitable and inclusive practices.
- Experience embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging principles across an organization.
- Understanding of and appreciation for cultural differences.
- Understanding of and proficiency in addressing systemic barriers disproportionately impacting diverse communities and individuals.
- Ability to share complex principles in an accessible manner with diverse audiences.
- Ability to monitor and analyze data, identify barriers, and inform stakeholders of progress on initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
This list is not required to apply for the role, however could help with success in this position. Individuals who do not possess these skills or experience yet, should still apply.
- Coursework and/or a degree in public policy, social justice, psychology, sociology, or humanities.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some travel is required.
Salary And Benefits
The salary range is $65,000-$85,500 annually; salary depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes a 401(k) retirement plan with up to 5% matching and health, dental, vision, and life & disability insurance with 100% of premiums paid by WRA. Annually, staff receive three weeks paid vacation leave to start, twelve paid sick days, one paid volunteer day, one paid birthday off, 12 paid holidays, and WRA is closed for Winter Break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day for additional paid time off. After one-year employees are eligible for up to twelve weeks of parental leave with the first six weeks paid, and after five years, staff are eligible for up to twelve weeks of paid sabbatical leave. Position is full-time exempt.