Environmental Training Facil
Type of Job
$30 per hour
Sep 28, 2022
About the job
JobTrain is a nonprofit organization on the move. We are delivering best in class outcomes, increasing our reach by expanding regionally, and we have committed to an ambitious new expanded mission to help our community to advance beyond the initial job placement, providing career advancement programming to help them achieve “full economic mobility.”
Born out of the civil rights movement in 1965, we now serve those in need of job training or other services that will advance their economic mobility at one of our Bay Area career or training centers. We create an environment and workspace where our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, fostering a safe and welcoming place for our clients. We deliver on some of the best outcomes in the workforce development field, with a vision to provide our clients with the long-term support they need to achieve full economic mobility.
We are growing, and we need your help!
About the Department and Role
JobTrain has a strong relationship with the San Mateo County Sherriff’s Department, County Probation and currently provides work readiness, employment training, programs, and services for incarcerated people, training/work furlough and returning citizens who have been justice involved.
The Maple Street Correctional Center (MSCC), located at 1300 Maple Street in Redwood City, provides rehabilitation programs and service for those who identify as male, female, or other. The MSCC staff ensures that individuals: 1) appear in court and complete their jail sentence; 2) are provided with medical, nutritional, hygienic, legal and spiritual programs and services to meet their needs; and, 3) receive services designed to provide opportunities to improve their lives, both during and after their release with the objective of reducing their chance of recidivism.
JobTrain is looking for a skilled facilitator for our Environmental Training class, Roots of Success (RoS), at the Maple Street Correctional Center. The Roots of Success program is an empowering program that prepares youth and adults for 100+ environmental jobs and career pathways and to improve conditions in their communities and build resilience to climate change. This position and programming will add to the existing classroom, programs and services offered at the facility.
The RoS Facilitator will complete comprehensive Train-the-Instructor training which introduces instructors to RoS’s unique pedagogy and teaching materials, and provides them with opportunities to practice teaching Roots of Success, guidance on engaging participants and managing classroom dynamics, and help developing a plan to integrate the curriculum into the Maple Street programs.
Program curricula will cover topics such as:
- Fundamentals of Environmental Literacy
- Health, Food & Agriculture
- Community Organizing & Leadership
- Financial Literacy & Social Entrepreneurship
- Application and Practice
This is an onsite position, Monday - Thursday, 30 hours per week.
- Complete RoS Train-the- Instructor training
- Deliver RoS Train-the-instructor training for other facilitators in JobTrain
- Assist with the integration of the RoS curriculum into Maple Street programming
- Order supplies / equipment as needed
- Teach RoS classes and provide a stimulating environment that encourages participation, interpersonal skills development, and comprehension of concepts
- Create and maintain accurate records, schedules, and course requirements regarding hours of instruction and content
- Order supplies and updated workbooks needed for class work
- Evaluate and document trainee progress through testing, observation, and assessment of skills attained
- Coordinate with JobTrain and other programs
- Attend meetings, as needed, provide reports, as needed, and other related duties as assigned
We strive to find candidates who have the qualifications for the role, and are aligned with our values of teamwork, community, leadership, and have a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. The specific qualifications for this role are listed below.
- Experience developing curriculum and delivering training and/or facilitating workshops
- Experience teaching / training at HS level or higher
- Experience with coaching / counseling HS level or higher
- In-depth experience delivering services to underserved populations, experience working with incarcerated individuals, or prior reentry experience preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of adult training methodology; knowledge of criminal justice system, behavioral science
- Comfortable working in a correctional facility
- Ability to pass background check with the California Sherriff’s Department
- Ability to develop strong relationships with diverse groups of the community population, who may have conflicting interests and opinions.
- Ability to maintain strong and appropriate boundaries with personal identifying information when interacting with students, community, or program partners, and while at any school location or community or program partner site.
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, interpersonal communication, computer skills, and ability to express complex ideas with clarity and precision.
JobTrain requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as required by law. Any employment offer will be contingent upon satisfactory proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law.
Compensation and Benefits:
JobTrain offers a competitive salary and benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision, acupuncture and chiropractic, paid time off, retirement program employer match, long-term disability, and life insurance.
JobTrain is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Additionally, JobTrain does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnic background, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or national origin.
Also, please note:
- Our focus is on local candidates, we do not offer relocation benefits.
- Successful candidates must have legal residency and work eligibility in the United States (per INS Form I-9 instructions).
- JobTrain will require the successful candidate to undergo a background check.