Energy Engineer - Workforce Development
Type of Job
$90,000 - $100,000
Aug 17, 2022
About the job
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting, and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for an Energy Engineer – Workforce Development (Senior Level) with a strong passion for improving the built environment to be part of our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) group, which provides commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit implementation services and policy development for multifamily, commercial, institutional and community buildings in New York City and beyond.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help them excel at SWA.
- Complete technical project work for O&M Training including:Create training curriculum content for HVAC systems common to NYC
Review and enhance existing training curriculum content
Assist in the development and administration of training assessment and evaluation tools
Deliver classroom, online, and field-based training sessions
Review property equipment for placement in relevant training sessions
Survey of existing building equipment
Inspect retrofits / upgrades of building equipment.
Perform trend analysis on logs of O&M data.
Provide innovative solutions to technical challenges.
Provide and review written technical and non-technical reports / memos and presentations.
Provide and/or facilitate technical training for other building industry professionals
- Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, service coordinators, service leads, etc.
- Assume primary responsibility for projects including project financials.
- Train and support junior staff members.
- The primary responsibility for this position will be conducting training as the lead trainer for the building operator training program (50%+ of the time). Additional responsibilities are available depending on this skills and interest of the successful candidate. These may include:Supervising staff
Representing SWA in industry groups, committees, or associations.
Project Management for other services:Smart Building Services
Pilot Project Research Studies
Energy Audits and decarbonization feasibility studies
Duties, responsibilities and activities will likely change but changes to the role will be discussed as they are needed / desired.
SWA encourages professional growth and development and the BODE team offers opportunities to further explore its other service offerings.
**This position will be classified as a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**Please apply directly at swinter.com/careers and search for Energy Engineer - Workforce Development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 5-8+ years of relevant and consecutive work experience. Work experience relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or commercial buildings.
- Experience conducting trainings for building staff.
- Experience conducting field inspections related to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment.
- Thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning, and retrofit services.?
- Proficiency in MS Office365 Suite:Advanced: Teams, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Preferred Knowledge / Bonus Skills:
- Hosting virtual training sessions and engaging all participants.
- Familiarity with NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate (Local Laws 84, 87, 95 and 97).
- Energy Code and / or ASHRAE standards.
- Familiarity with steam systems, electrification and deep energy retrofit concepts.
- Multi-lingual in Spanish preferred. Other languages welcome.
- Excellent communicator and engaging presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Highly communicative and comfortable interacting with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders daily.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and initiatives and moved them forward to completion.
- Organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize the most critical tasks and deliverables.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, and confidence.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
No overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Local day travel may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will primarily be based in the office and will be regularly required to sit while performing office-based tasks, using computer-based software. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to type and and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions.
Most of the duties are performed in an office environment or in the field.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.