E-Commerce Finance Director
Type of Job
$70,000 - $95,000
May 18, 2021
About the job
The National Wildlife Federation is are looking for a growth-minded e commerce finance director for our Garden for Wildlife (GFW) Social Ecommerce Business to work in our Reston, VA office. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions). You will oversee all aspects of the financial health of our new Garden for Wildlife™ Business. This business will expand access to native plants and trees, scale the conservation impact, and create an engaged and diverse community of wildlife gardeners – effectively improving the way all people plant to benefit wildlife and communities. GFW is an independent business unit within the Innovation and Growth division and you will report directly to the Head of Garden for Wildlife™. You will work with marketing, production, finance, operations and other leadership within Innovation & Growth. Click HERE to apply.
About the National Wildlife Federation
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
- Team lead for managing the annual budget, accurate forecasting for future years (5-year business plan), monitoring actual performance to budget, analyzing results and adjusting plans/re-projecting budgets.
- Work with the members of the GFW team to determine the long-term benefits and costs of budget plans and marketing scenarios and provide information for budget reconciliations and plant orders.
- Develop approaches to contain costs, improve systems and streamline financial management for the business.
- Serve as liaison with the National Wildlife Federation’s Finance department staff to ensure overall effectiveness and compliance.
Plan and Implement the E-commerce Business Budget
- Manages and guides the annual budgeting process and five-year planning to maximize the long-term value to our organization
- Track revenue and expenses for plant sales, growers, fulfillment, tech costs and marketing.
- Review the monthly P&L and provide trimester updates as needed.
Data Reporting and Analysis
- Analyze various streams of data to ensure Garden for Wildlife is on track to hit its goals.
- Directs and creates the P&L analysis for the existing businesses and any new products
- Determine short- and long-term financial performance based on previous sales data, trends in the economy, and comparisons with others in the industry.
Oversee Accountability and Continuous Improvement
- Assist team members with accounting and invoice coding to ensure invoices are recorded
- Manage the accounting to ensure payment to outside fulfillment company, growers, shipping and any other outside vendors, acting as liaison with finance and accounting to answer and resolve questions.
- Coordinates with National Wildlife Federation’s legal and finance leads to manage all contract processing including modifications and renewals.
- Reconcile reports and works through NWF systems to ensure state taxes are paid.
- Prepare performance and financial reports
- Promote continual process improvements and financial risk assessment
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or business administration
- At least 7 years of accounting, analysis and budgeting planning
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Accounting and budget management skills
- Strategic planning and business development
- Excellent verbal, communication and collaboration skills
- Results-oriented and process-driven
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (can perform complex functions)
- Ability to navigate databases, spreadsheets, digital web platform.
Nice to Have
- Experience in reconciling ecommerce sales with Paypal, Chasepayment tech desired
- Salesforce experience a plus
- Experience in finances of organizations that range across small start up companies to larger nonprofit subsidiary financial systems, preferred
Equally important non-technical skills
- Entrepreneurial and growth mind-set
- Strong communicator and collaborator
- An enthusiasm for making an impact
- Interest in our conservation mission
What we’ll give you
- The salary range for this position is currently $70,000 - $95,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
- A positive, collaborative, supportive and flexible work environment that encourages experimentation and creativity
- The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
- We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at org/equity.
- If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.