Donor Relations Coordinator
Type of Job
$50,000 - $55,000
Mar 17, 2022
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The National Wildlife Federation believes that in order to save wildlife and ourselves, we need to ensure that everyone in America has clean air and water, safe communities, easy and equitable access to the daily benefits of nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change. These basic needs, equally necessary and urgent for all people, are foundational to bringing the conservation movement and ethos into the 21st century.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Donor Relations Coordinator to join our team in Reston, VA. As an integral part of a cross-functional team, you will be responsible for a range of stewardship and operations functions aimed at ensuring the continued success across the National Wildlife Federation’s fundraising and donor engagement efforts. A primary area of focus for this role is centered around gift processing for the Federation’s individual giving programs. You will be central to providing both timely and accurate processing of VIP gifts as well as the critical coordination of meaningful acknowledgements.
You will also assist the Mid-level program in building out engaging programming for a rapidly growing segment of our donors. As our Coordinator you will provide support around donor events, mailings, and collateral production essential to the engagement and stewardship of this segment. You will work with team leads to build and manage annual stewardship calendars and facilitate critical planning meetings to ensure coordinated efforts as needed.
Another focus area will be in helping to manage the production of the Mid-level program marketing and communication efforts providing support with content generation, internal review, production, and delivery while managing deadlines. These efforts influence $2 million dollars annually and will require strong attention for detail.
You will work alongside Donor Relations Officers to address special needs and customer service calls, donor inquiries received directly to headquarters, and targeted outreach as needed. You will be effectively cross-trained and versed in the CRM systems, protocols, and data management best practices.
As this position will, at times, be forward-facing with members and supporters, you are expected to possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
In this role you will:
- Serve as lead gift processor for individual giving, to include processing and acknowledgement of both restricted and unrestricted contributions; work with Finance team to ensure contributions deployed across the organization mirror the donor’s intent.
- Assist with content generation, internal review, production, and delivery of various direct marketing packages, solicitations, and fundraising appeals.
- Attend and contribute to content planning meetings to effectively build annual stewardship and communications calendars that will be used to manage production deadlines.
- Assist with in person and virtual event logistics, registration, and tracking ensuring critical personnel are kept up to date on attendees, troubleshooting live events, responding to inquiries, and ensuring any external data is translated into CRM post event.
- Collaborate with various business units, program leads, and agency partners regularly, helping to ensure our teams are communicating and collaborating effectively.
- Provide back up and assistance to Donor Relations Officers engaging and stewarding donors by recognizing contributions through handwritten correspondence, calls, and emails.
- Leverage research, personal interactions, and other insights to qualify donors for additional stewardship and cultivation opportunities with Donor Relations Officers.
- Maintain constituent profiles and accurately enter demographic information, contact reports, and various moves management relating to donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, performing these and other CRM-related functions with accuracy, regularity, and consistency.
- Maintain standardized reports and analysis to inform leadership’s efforts to monitor and evaluate portfolio management, strategy implementation, revenue generation, and resource deployment.
- College Degree and/or 1-2 demonstrated years of experience within direct fundraising or nonprofit organizations required.
- Growth mindset in partnership with the commitment to create, foster, and build healthy and equitable work environment required.
- Penchant for effectively and efficiently managing multiple processes and deadlines, ideally in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior interpersonal skills, and excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and, when necessary, as an integral part of the team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with CRM, various databases, and management reporting tools.
- A passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places a plus.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, but will transition to onsite work when our offices re-open. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position pays $50,000 - $55,000 depending on experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.