Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice Intern
Type of Job
May 14, 2022
About the job
Position Title: DEIJ Intern, Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed
Department: Government Relations
Location: Remote Temporarily
Reports to: Engagement Coordinator, Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed
Job Classification: Temporary, Part-Time, hourly, 15 hours/week
Start Date: July 2022
End Date: November 2022
Job Description: The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) Intern will work with the Engagement Coordinator to advance the goals of New Jersey Audubon and the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed (CDRW) by assisting with DEIJ efforts. The intern will deepen their understanding of DEIJ concepts, application, and strategies by actively participating in CDRW’s DEIJ goals and attending external DEIJ trainings.
New Jersey Audubon and the Coalition for the Delaware River Watershed are dedicated to the journey of advancing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in their work to advocate for a healthy and protected watershed. As an organization and Coalition, we strive to address these issues and cultivate a Coalition that comprehensively and authentically includes all voices in the watershed.
Learning Objective: The candidate should have an interest in social and environmental justice, non-profit operations, advocacy, community engagement, and relationship building. The intern will learn skills on how to identify and implement DEIJ efforts, how to facilitate conversations with CDRW members on DEIJ, how to create and disseminate resources, and how to maintain a robust membership base.
- The DEIJ Intern will work closely with the Engagement Coordinator as well as CDRW staff, members, and DEIJ consultant to advance DEIJ efforts and membership engagement.
- Assist in recruitment of new Coalition Members across the Delaware River Watershed, identifying and filling gaps in membership representation.
- Manage member engagement tracking and support development of strategies to re-engage members by identifying shared priorities and updating primary contacts.
- Support improvement of membership onboarding structures and strategies.
- Attend webinars and learning experiences to facilitate personal growth and skills in DEIJ; apply learning to position responsibilities.
- Support improvement of CDRW’s DEIJ resource hub by translating current resources into functional formats, identifying content gaps, researching and compiling new resources, and encouraging use by NJA departments and Coalition membership.
- Support development of DEIJ focused blogs, webinars, and communications.
- Assist with planning and facilitation of DEIJ workgroup meetings and activities; serve as an active participant in the workgroup.
- Support fulfillment of the Coalition’s 2022 DEIJ Workplan and organization’s DEIJ objectives.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required by the Department and Organization.
- Anyone seeking to further their experience in non-profits, advocacy, environment, and advancing DEIJ culturally and systemically.
- Experience integrating DEIJ within workplaces, communities, organizations, and/or personally.
- Knowledge of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice concepts.
- Knowledge of environment, conservation, and water-related issues a plus.
- Interest in policy and/or legislative processes a plus.
- Strong Computer skills – Microsoft Office 365, internet, research skills; experience with Canva or similar graphic design programs a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Punctual with excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise inclusivity and build diverse connections and relationships and contribute to a healthy workplace culture.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Motivated self-starter able to work independently in the execution of their responsibilities while collaborating with other staff and organizations with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet deadlines and needs of the department and organization.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Willingness to travel in the Watershed (NJ, PA, NY, DE) as needed.
Starting date: July 2022
End Date: November 2022
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until filled
To Apply: Please send cover letter of interest and resume as a single PDF document listing job position in subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.