Director of Strategic Partnerships
Anywhere in the United States
Type of Job
$75,705 - $95,790
Oct 19, 2021
About the job
For almost 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Each and every staff member genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting-edge hands-on field science.
The Director of Strategic Partnerships will take the lead in setting and implementing Earthwatch’s fundraising strategy and tactical plan around large corporate engagements. Earthwatch developed a plan around corporate partnerships about 3 years ago and has built a strong pipeline that this person will be responsible for stewarding and continuing to grow. We seek a team player with a proven track record in corporate relationship management, fundraising/sales, and an understanding of complex environmental issues. Our ideal candidate has a passion for the mission of Earthwatch: you want to make a difference in the world, and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves to do it.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Serve as the main relationship holder for all potential corporate funders, securing no less than US$200,000 in new corporate partnerships per year.
· Generate new corporate funding prospects including researching potential corporate opportunities, identify the appropriate entry point, and making contact. Generate interest through corporate social responsibility conferences.
· Produce high-quality written communication for existing and potential funders, corporate proposals, grant applications, emails, newsletters, and more.
· Work collaboratively across departments (Program, Research, Finance) from the proposal development stage through to implementation, reporting, and renewals. Ensure donor expectations are met.
· Maintain a tracking system for all corporate prospects – identifying and tracking immediate, short-term, and longer-term priorities and actions.
· Support the development of marketing materials for corporates in partnership with Communications team.
· Coordinate the involvement of the CEO, board members, and staff in the sales process as appropriate.
· Stay up to date in trends in fundraising with the private sector, shared value partnerships, corporate social responsibility, and sustainability.
· Proactively seek opportunities to drive visibility for Earthwatch and our corporate partnerships; this could include visibility at conferences, panels, on social platforms, or other places.
· Utilize creative talents and resources to develop and improve existing workflows and protocols.
· Work with staff to cultivate new ideas on ways to achieve our mission and pitch those to prospects.
· Maintain donor information to a high standard within the organization’s database.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· 5+ years of experience in nonprofit fund development, sales, funder relationship management, and/or a related field.
· Highly articulate with exceptional interpersonal, writing and editing skills. Ability to motivate support for Earthwatch’s programs.
· Must embrace the mission, vision, and goals of Earthwatch and have a deep respect for the role of science in environmental challenges.
· Track record of successful corporate relationship management.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the fundraising process and funder reporting.
· Proven successful project management skills.
· Ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels.
· Ability to negotiate challenging situations with diplomacy to achieve goals & meet deadlines.
· Display a positive attitude, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, and good listening skills.
· Understanding of complex environmental issues, and ability to showcase the impact of Earthwatch programs on these issues and the people we serve.
· Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
· Professional proficiency in Office365, video conferencing software, and CRM databases
· Willingness and ability to travel up to 10%. (Reduced during COVID-19 pandemic)
· 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
· Health insurance with health reimbursement, dental insurance and flexible spending accounts
· 100% employer paid life, long term disability and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, employee assistance program, and short term disability insurance
· Generous paid time off, paid holiday, and parental leave
· Professional development opportunities, including professional development grant program, mentor program, internal and external training, conferences and more
· Fun employee engagement/appreciation events
Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter in a single document via: https://earthwatch.org/about/jobs-internships/director-strategic-partnerships.