Director of Sales (Parental Leave Cover)
Type of Job
$74,418 - $96,048
Sep 29, 2022
About the job
For more than 50 years, Earthwatch has connected people from around the planet with world-class scientists to help change environmental policies, achieve critical conservation goals, and produce groundbreaking findings. We support real objective scientific fieldwork while connecting people to the environment in a personal and often profound way. Our participants contribute directly to urgent global environmental issues and have the adventure of a lifetime in the process.
Our team genuinely believes in our mission. The work we do isn’t just a job; it’s about ensuring a brighter future for our planet. We are passionate, committed to excellence, and supportive of one another - and we love science! Plus, we occasionally get to go out into the field to collect data and be a part of cutting-edge hands-on field science.
Earthwatch is a remote first company with 80% of staff working fully remote.
Earthwatch is seeking parental leave cover for a period of 6 months starting November 14, 2022 for the Director of Sales position. The Director leads a small team (3) who serve as front line-ambassadors for the Earthwatch brand, steward existing customers, convert new leads, and develop partnerships across a broad spectrum of organizations. The Director is responsible for executing the strategic plan to recruit paying members of the general public to book Earthwatch’s scientific expeditions around the world. This includes working with the CEO and Controller to set sales and profitability targets; leading the sales team; collaborating with the Director of Communications on lead generation, qualification, and conversion; identifying opportunities and working across departments to bring them to market. To achieve success, the Director of Sales will understand what motivates travelers and be able to tap into those needs and desires in an effective way.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Meet organizational sales targets for individual adults, teens, and high school groups through development and execution of short and long-term sales strategy
· Supervise three sales team members to ensure that departmental goals are met. Evaluate performance measures for staff and provide regular feedback and coaching, plus growth plans
· With the CEO and Finance team, set financial targets, including discounts
· Work with colleagues across the company to ensure proper customer service is delivered
· Prospect group and partner leads; convert these leads into sales
· Convert qualified leads generated via the web and direct marketing into sales
· Ensure adequate phone and e-mail coverage is maintained through staff scheduling
· Provide market intelligence and translate it into enhanced revenues and competitive positioning
· Review, evaluate and provide strategic feedback regarding sales performance metrics to internal stakeholders
· Analyze sales statistics and monitor customers’ preferences; serve on the Inventory Committee by providing insight into the sales potential of new and existing programs, as well as program gaps
· Administer and monitor department budget
· Work directly with participants, supporters, donors and prospects via phone and email to generate expedition sales and build organization loyalty
· Deliver prompt, friendly and consistent high-quality customer service and participant stewardship
· Collaborate with Communications (marketing) and Development (fundraising) departments to stimulate program growth and generate revenue
· Build understanding of sales and relationship stewarding; effective lead stewardship and conversion
· 4+ years of experience in sales and/or account management with a track record of results
· 2+ years of staff management experience
· Dynamic leadership skills, able to create a collaborative, positive, and goal-oriented team environment
· Must embrace the mission, vision, and goals of Earthwatch and have a respect for the role of science in environmental challenges
· Demonstrated passion for sales
· Track record of achieving revenue targets
· Experience with prospecting, lead qualification, and conversion
· Outstanding verbal, written and public speaking/presentation skills
· Exemplary customer service, interpersonal, and relationship-management skills
· Ability to think strategically and analytically
· Innovative and creative problem-solver, always looking to unlock new opportunities
· Strong business acumen and negotiation skills
· Ability to meet deadlines, set priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment
· Experience managing budgets
· Knowledge of global travel programs
· Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging
· Professional proficiency in Office365, video conferencing software, CRM databases, and Adobe Creative Suite
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthwatch, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via: https://earthwatch.org/about/jobs-internships/sales-director.