Director of Membership
Type of Job
Jul 28, 2022
About the job
Director of Membership
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
A critical leadership position on the Development team, the Director of Membership sustains and grows giving from more than 100,000 supporters via mail, online, and telemarketing strategies. This senior Development position is responsible for revenue from individual gifts up to $25,000 through annual giving, monthly sustainers, and mid-level giving. They are responsible for leading fundraising strategies including our innovative reduced mail solicitation program and online marketing and fundraising campaigns, while ensuring exceptional customer service and sustaining and growing historically high donor retention levels. The Director leads a team of five staff, sets overarching strategy for the team, and manages relationships with direct mail and online fundraising consultants.
· Develop annual fundraising strategies and solicitation calendars across mail, email, and telemarketing channels; meet or exceed annual revenue goals ($17.5 million in fiscal year 2022).
· Working with society managers, develop and implement strategies to increase monthly and mid-level giving programs.
· Manage direct mail and online marketing vendor relationships.
· Manage direct mail/membership operating budget and monitor the Membership Team’s budget, advising/consulting with the CDO on expense and revenue trends, changes, and needs.
· Lead 5-person Membership team; assign and prioritize tasks, monitor performance, and job satisfaction and address challenges as they arise.
· Collaborate across fundraising teams and between department to coordinate and support campaigns, message strategies, and engagement activities.
Qualifications and Experience
· 10 years of comparable and relevant experience, including experience in direct mail and online marketing, production, and list management. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Experience in development and fund-raising techniques and procedures, with expertise in online and offline direct marketing and direct mail.
· Strong persuasive writing and editing skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and skilled supervisory and budget management experience required.
· Experience with, marketing, data analytics, and relational databases is preferred.
· A successful candidate is adept at condensing substantial amounts of information into compelling, persuasive, narratives; understands environmental issues and/or has had exposure to environmental studies, climate science, or issue advocacy; and can inspire staff and work collegially as part of a fast-paced development team, centering equity and supporting staff growth.
Spends extended periods at computer. Occasional travel up to ~3 weeks over the course of a year.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we are dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We are also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time remote position based in close proximity to one of UCS’s four offices: Cambridge, MA; Washington, DC; Oakland, CA; or Chicago, IL. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary range is $129,001-$145,130. For CA Residents ONLY, there is a 12% pay differential. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who will not check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we have not considered. If that is you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
For in office roles, UCS employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. All new hires who will be reporting to an office location must provide notice of their vaccination status and vaccination documentation, on or before their first day of work. For all others, UCS strongly encourages full vaccinations among its employees, up to and including booster shots, even if working remotely.
All new employees must comply with the mandatory vaccination requirements outlined in UCS policies as soon as practicable. Union of Concerned Scientists will notify candidates for employment of the requirements of this policy before the start of employment.
Deadline: until filled