Director of Finance and Operations
Multiple Locations (NC, VA, or TN)
Type of Job
Jun 30, 2021
About the job
Appalachian Voices works to achieve an Appalachia with healthy, intact ecosystems and generative local economies that allow communities to thrive.
For more than a century, Appalachian communities have powered the growth of America’s industrial might—and have suffered disproportionately from resulting pollution, damaged lands, and poverty. Today, Appalachia is on the frontlines of an American energy transition.
Appalachian Voices is a powerful promoter of this transition. Founded in 1997, it has increased in size, opened new offices, and nearly doubled revenue under the leadership of Executive Director Tom Cormons. The organization seeks an energetic and financially savvy leader to serve as a Director of Finance and Operations.
The ideal candidate will be innovative, driven, and results-oriented, with a deep appreciation for Appalachian Voices’ mission and the people they serve. This position will lead the finance, accounting, and human resources functions that fuel their progress toward impact, sustainability, and scale. The Director will report to the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director. To be successful, the Director of Finance and Operations will work closely with all levels of management and staff across Appalachian Voices’ regional offices to drive financial planning, budgeting, accountability, and reporting. Key qualifications include:
- At least ten years of accounting experience with a preference for candidates with five years of nonprofit financial management.
- Superior understanding of all aspects of non-profit accounting and financial management, appropriate knowledge of tax laws and related issues and regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations, including federal and state filings and sound internal controls.
- Good communications skill, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency in Excel, G Suite, QuickBooks. Preference for candidates with experience with constituent relationship management software and time-tracking and expense software.
- Experience managing nonprofit audits is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
Development Resources, inc. (DRi) is leading this search for Appalachian Voices. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications are invited to learn more and apply by visiting www.driconsulting.com/positions/ or via email at email@example.com.