Director of Finance (32-40 hrs/wk)
Type of Job
$60,000-$90,000 per year
Sep 25, 2023
About the job
Position Summary: The Director of Finance is a critical member of the Senior Leadership Team, responsible for managing $2 million in assets, overseeing accounting and budgeting with $2 million in revenue, handling human resources, and ensuring compliance with federal, state, and foundation grant regulations. Additionally, this role involves supervising one part-time employee, the Finance Assistant. The Director of Finance collaborates closely with the Executive Director (ED) to develop both short-term and long-term strategic plans.
Status: Flexible position with options of 32-40 hours per week
Location: Hybrid position with in-office days in Longmont or Fort Collins
Supervisor: Executive Director
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
· A minimum of 5 years of accounting experience, with a track record of managing budgets exceeding $1 million.
· Demonstrated expertise in State and/or Federal grant management.
· Knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted principles (GAAP), procedures, & policies.
· Proven ability to construct, oversee, and audit internal systems effectively.
· Proficiency in QuickBooks Online and proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), and database management.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Possesses the ability to inspire and lead a team while effectively leveraging individual strengths.
· Previous experience in nonprofit organizations and a genuine passion for working in the environmental sector.
· Can maintain a positive and enjoyable work environment while meeting deadlines and addressing priorities.
· Has a track record of leading teams in the implementation and promotion of Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion (DEAI) principles and continuous learning in this area.
Senior Leadership Team and Strategy (15%)
· Collaborates with the Senior Leadership Team to update and enhance WRV’s strategic plan, ensuring the organization maintains a clear long-term strategy, and achieves its annual objectives.
· Cultivates a culture that values inclusion and effectively communicating WRV’s vision and strategies.
· Manages a comprehensive financial system, producing and presenting accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for the Board, Executive Director, and Program Directors.
· Leads the $2M annual budgeting process, collaborating with ED and Managing Director, and presenting to Finance Committee and Board.
· Assist in developing grants and contracts project budgets totaling $1.2M, maintain a robust grant tracking system, assist with reporting, and ensuring grant compliance.
· Leads annual audit and 990 preparations in collaboration with an independent CPA firm.
· Maintains adequate cash balances and forecast future cash requirements.
· Serves as liaison to Board Finance Committee, including presentation of financial reporting at bi-monthly meetings.
Human Resources (20%)
· Collaborates with other Senior Leaders to ensure equitable job titles, salary ranges, compensation practices and annual performance appraisals.
· Oversee payroll, benefits, and annual benefit renewal.
· Ensures legal HR compliance, updating policies and procedures as needed.
· Assists with new employee orientation and onboarding.
· Supervises one part-time employee, the Finance Assistant.
· Conducts regular check-ins and completes annual performance reviews with direct reports.
Application Process: Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review applications starting on October 2, 2023 and will continue the review process until the position is filled. The ideal start date for this role is an early November. As required by federal law, all new hires must confirm their identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete the necessary employment eligibility verification form upon hiring. Employment in this position is subject to a successful background check.
Compensation: The annualized salary for this position falls within the range of $60,000 to $90,000, prorated for a part-time employee. Salary is commensurate with the candidate's experience. WRV provides competitive benefits to employees working 30 hours or more per week, including group health insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, and the option to enroll in a Simple IRA plan. Additionally, employees can take advantage of discounted pro-deals and professional development opportunities.
Inclusiveness statement: WRV is committed to creating an environment for our community that attracts, supports, and engages all people, regardless of differences in experience, background, access to resources, or historical representation in our work. We welcome and value all ideas, experiences, and abilities, and we encourage individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds to apply. We believe that diversity strengthens our community and seek to provide an inclusive environment for all staff and volunteers.
About Wildlands Restoration Volunteers - WRV is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, based in Longmont and Fort Collins, Colorado. WRV connects people with nature and promotes community-based involvement in the care of public lands. We engage volunteers in a wide variety of hands-on ecological restoration and other land stewardship activities. Volunteers see the positive impact they can have on our public lands and develop a deep love of the places they have helped to heal. As a force for empowering individuals to "make a difference," since 1999, we have completed over 1,350 projects, with over $14 million of volunteer time contributed toward the stewardship and restoration of Colorado public lands. WRV is committed to providing an inclusive environment for our community. We welcome and value all ideas, experiences, and abilities, and we encourage individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds to apply. Before applying for this position, we strongly recommend you visit our website at www.wlrv.org.
Covid-19: WRV’s COVID policy requires full vaccination against COVID-19 on your first day of employment. Requests for reasonable medical or religious accommodations will be considered.
EEO Statement: Wildlands Restoration Volunteers is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Accommodations: WRV is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact WRV directly.