Director of Finance
San Francisco, CA
Type of Job
$115,000 - $130,000
Jul 4, 2023
About the job
About the Organization
RE-volv is a climate justice organization that helps nonprofits in underserved communities across the country go solar while raising awareness about equitable climate solutions and training the next generation of clean energy leaders. We do this by empowering people to bring clean energy to their communities, providing the upfront installation costs of solar energy systems to local nonprofits, and educating local community members about the benefits of clean energy in the process. Through an innovative solar finance model, these nonprofits immediately save on their electricity costs, while their monthly solar payments contribute to a revolving fund we call the Solar Seed Fund. Through our Solar Ambassador program, we offer year-long fellowships to college students who gain real-world experience by engaging, developing, and implementing solar projects.
RE-volv is a member of the White House National Community Solar Partnership and has received numerous awards, including recently being named to the Solar Energy Innovation Network of the U.S. Department of Energy.
RE-volv is at an exciting moment in the life of the organization. With over 3MW of solar financed and installed for over 60 nonprofits in 16 states serving tens of thousands of people, and with Solar Ambassadors at dozens of universities across the country, our track record is proven and our opportunity to scale is massive.
By choosing to work at RE-volv, you know that your efforts everyday are not just helping promote solar, but helping myriad nonprofits lower their electric bill, so they can be more successful in serving their communities around the country.
About the Role
RE-volv is poised to enter its next level of growth and the Director of Finance role will be primarily focused on the following areas: 1) management of the RE-volv solar finance program and the development of its financial products to ensure portfolio profitability and mission execution including building robust financial models that evaluate individual solar project economics, 2) managing the internal, day-to-day finances of the organization to become a self-sustaining nonprofit, operating increasingly through earned revenue, 3)assist in securing and structuring investments and, 4) oversight of the solar team’s efforts to generate leads, sign deals, build projects, and provide operations and maintenance services to clients.
This is a high impact position, requiring creativity, independence, collaboration, and initiative in a dynamic, mission-driven organization. This role requires a demonstrated successful track record in solar project finance and investor relations, and a deep commitment to accelerating clean energy and climate justice solutions. The Director of Finance will report to the Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Finance will perform the following and other duties as assigned with the approximate level of time allocation:
Solar Seed Fund Portfolio Management and Investor Relations (50%)
- Work closely with the Director of Solar Project Operations and the Solar Account Manager to review solar portfolio and pipeline on a weekly basis.
- Help set and track our solar fund performance metrics, ensure data integrity, and manage our fund’s financial health.
- Develop robust financial models to manage internal financial controls and oversight structures and present to board and senior staff members, as needed.
- Develop and iterate RE-volv solar finance products: solar loan, PPA, and lease.
- Manage the application process over the next 6 months for RE-volv to become a certified nonprofit CDFI.
- Provide investors with due diligence information regarding RE-volv operations and finances.
- Lead the investment opportunity review process that measures and evaluates terms from investors.
Accounting, Internal Controls, and Staff Management (50%)
- Monitor incoming solar revenue and outgoing payments across projects with proper financial oversight.
- Oversee solar team and solar finance business processes.
- Track movement against all contractual obligations for each individual Program Related Investment, Recoverable Grant, Impact Investment, or Tax Equity Investment we have received ensuring rapid deployment of capital and timely repayment to investors.
- Provide bi-monthly financial reporting and analysis to the Board of Directors
- Working directly with RE-volv’s external accounting team, lead the annual financial statement audit and preparation of compliance reporting.
- Manage banking relationships and implement cash management strategies.
- Manage external accountants to track and oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, banking and deposits, collections, fixed assets records, general ledger accounting.
- Investigate, recommend, and implement cost-savings opportunities.
- Assist in evaluating and procuring insurance policies for solar projects and the organization.
The successful candidate will have the following minimum qualifications:
- 10 plus years of solar finance modeling and solar finance product development including solar loans, PPAs, and leases.
- 10 plus years of financial management experience.
- Skilled at developing and implementing improvements to an organization’s financial policies and procedures that can scale.
- Proven track record in managing teams and financial and operational processes.
- Demonstrated experience working with and reporting to investors.
- Proven track record managing information architecture in Quickbooks, Bill.com, Salesforce, Dropbox, Google Drive, and other applicable systems as needed.
- Ability to analyze key metrics and financial data trends to guide organizational decisions.
- Experience working with nonprofits.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting renewable energy, climate justice, and building an equitable and sustainable society.
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Possession of a high attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and self-motivate.
- Contribute to the optimistic and collaborative attitude of the team.
Compensation and Location
RE-volv offers a competitive base salary between $115,000 - $130,000 commensurate with experience, an excellent benefits package, and generous paid time off. RE-volv also provides the last Friday of every month off for personal care, which we call RE-charge Fridays. All team members contribute to our organizational culture of performance excellence while maintaining a friendly, fun, supportive atmosphere among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
This is a 40-hour a week full-time position from our office in the Financial District of San Francisco, CA. RE-volv allows flexible work hours and is committed to supporting a good work-life balance; please note that working fully from a remote location is not an option for this role.
CEA Recruiting is assisting RE-volv with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Applications received by July 30th, 2023, will receive priority; this position will remain open until filled.
RE-volv is an equal opportunity employer.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.