Director of Community Impact
Type of Job
$65,000 - 75,000
May 18, 2023
About the job
Our energy system is on the brink of a major transformation, and we’re looking for someone to help us ensure this new system puts rooftop solar energy at the cornerstone!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit that started more than 15 years ago with a simple question: "Mom, can we go solar?" Since then, we've helped tens of thousands of people benefit from solar energy. We are dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone — by helping people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
We are seeking a Director of Community Impact to provide integral leadership and support for our national programs and regional Community Impact team. Community Impact at Solar United Neighbors includes volunteer opportunities, solar open houses, solar celebrations, national solar events, and more. You’ll report to the VP of Community Impact and lead a team of three Community Impact Specialists. In collaboration with many different staff members, you’ll set the strategic vision for national engagement programming and ensure that SUN supporters are informed, excited, and ready to take action in support of solar across the country.
Job responsibilities include:
· Leading SUN’s distributed community impact team and collaborating with cross-cutting and state-based staff to identify, coordinate, and implement volunteer opportunities and outreach events to support the growth of our national programs and networks, expand the capacity of staff, and deepen relationships with solar supporters.
· Coordinating all national virtual and in person community impact activities, events, and opportunities, including social events, volunteer opportunities (including tabling, flyering, canvassing, digital outreach), advocacy events, solar open houses, etc. In addition, you’ll develop new ways of training and engaging solar supporters across the country.
· Building out and solidifying our national volunteer program.
· Leading a fantastic team of Community Impact Specialists providing mentorship, support, and growth opportunities.
· Working closely with the Community Impact Specialists to actively support the coordination and implementation of local programming, driving progress toward each state program’s engagement goals.
· Managing regular communications with national volunteer lists about upcoming opportunities as well as coordination and follow-up with individual volunteers about specific opportunities. You’ll create event RSVP pages and other collateral needed for events, including printing and mailing resources to field staff, volunteers, and partners as needed.
· Leading the evaluation process of national programming to ensure that organizational goals and needs are being met.
· Minimum 5 years of experience with program coordination, managing volunteers, working on campaigns, community or environmental organizing, and/or direct outreach.
· Minimum 5 years of experience managing a team.
· Ability to work remotely, with some travel.
· Experience working with distributed teams and organizations.
· Ability to work independently, cooperatively, and effectively with staff and volunteers.
· Detail-oriented and collaborative.
· Strong verbal and written skills.
· Experience with Salesforce.
· Experience with or interest in learning about solar energy.
· Spanish-fluency a plus.
· Fun, remote work environment
· Flexible work hours
· Generous paid leave
· Health, vision, and dental insurance
· $1,000/year professional development stipend
· $50/month phone and internet stipend
· 401(k) retirement account with match after 1 year
· Meaningful, impactful work
SUN welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with a non-traditional education. We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every preferred qualification, we still encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
If you think this job might be for you, please apply on our job board!