Director of Communications
Type of Job
$74,418 - $96,048
Sep 23, 2022
About the job
Earthwatch is seeking an experienced Director of Communications to lead our efforts to drive brand awareness, engagement, expedition bookings, and donations. The Director is responsible for developing and implementing a marketing and communications strategy to advance Earthwatch’s global mission and expand its reach.
You will develop and implement an integrated marketing and communications strategy in partnership with your small but mighty team, as well as produce/manage the production of all communications collateral, including the annual Expedition Guide, website content, video, e-newsletters, blogs and feature stories, and more.
To support these efforts, you will use a data-driven approach, manage a team of 3 staff, and manage the communications department budget. You work closely with communications stakeholders across departments (e.g., Creative, Development, Sales, and Programs) to communicate Earthwatch’s mission and wide impact, while inspiring new audiences to get involved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Communications & Marketing Strategy
· Design and implement communications and marketing strategy to support and achieve key targets for expedition participant recruitment and donor retention / acquisition.
· Develop integrated digital marketing campaigns to raise brand awareness amongst new audiences while promoting sales and fundraising goals.
· Create and manage the creation of compelling content to share across marketing platforms, including website, e-newsletters, blogs, social media, video, and more.
· Work in close partnership with sales and development teams to refine campaign communications and support conversion goals.
· Ensure Earthwatch’s voice and brand is consistent across channels and campaigns both internally and externally.
· Lead media relations and field all press inquiries.
· Assess marketing analytics to support a data-driven strategy. Inform communications analytics needs for new CRM software that will be implemented over the next year.
· Work with the Sales, Communications, and Development departments to develop successful strategies and campaigns that attract new customers and donors and keep current customers and donors.
· In partnership with the Creative Director, maintain Earthwatch’s “voice” and visual brand across communication channels.
· Management of the Earthwatch website to include up to date information about our programs and opportunities for people to engage with the mission.
· Identify and develop digital marketing and promotional opportunities both internally and externally through commercial and nonprofit sites.
· Monitor competitors’ products, sales, and marketing activities.
· Maintain knowledge of environmental and conservation issues and policies as relate to the Earthwatch mission.
· Serves on Inventory Committee to select new research projects that align with Earthwatch business model and mission.
· Manage variety of external consultants and partners to achieve communications goals, ensuring timely execution of agreed upon deliverables.
· Develop, administer, and monitor departmental budget.
· Serve as a member of Earthwatch leadership team to make high-level organizational decisions.
· Utilize creative talents and resources to develop and improve existing workflows and protocols.
· Directly supervise three communications team members, and occasional consultants, to ensure that departmental goals are met. Establish and evaluate performance measures for staff and provide regular feedback / evaluations/ growth plans.
· This position will be immediately responsible for hiring and onboarding one team member at the Manager level to support communications needs, including input on the job description to ensure the role is complimentary to the Director’s areas of expertise.
· 5-7 years of proven successful communications and marketing experience.
· 3 years of staff management experience
· Significant knowledge of and/or demonstrated experience developing digital marketing campaigns and strategies, including SEO, lead generation, social media, and PPC advertising.
· Strategic content development skills, including experience writing copy for a range of digital platforms under tight deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal).
· Ability to operate as both a strategic leader and collaborative team player
· Experience using analytics to inform communications strategy.
· Must embrace the mission, vision, and goals of Earthwatch and have a respect for the role of science in environmental challenges.
· Ability to communicate and collaborate successfully with individuals and teams at all levels, internal and external.
· Superior writing and editing skills, understanding of framing/tailoring a message for multiple audiences (public, donors, corporations, etc.).
· Proven ability to develop and drive new initiatives, work collaboratively with groups across the organization, oversee projects to completion and measure results.
· Demonstrated commitment to fostering and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
· Professional proficiency in Office365, video conferencing software, and CRM databases.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Earthwatch, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.