Director of Climate Policy and Justice
Type of Job
85,000 - 95,000
Nov 16, 2021
About the job
General Description: Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) and Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCVEF) are hiring a Director of Climate Policy and Justice. This position will help develop and direct a newly established Climate Change program within Maryland LCV/EF. The program is integral to meeting the organization’s strategic plan focused on climate change and environmental justice. The Director of Climate Policy and Justice will shape the organization’s climate policy efforts, aimed at reducing both the state’s greenhouse gas emissions and the harmful impacts of climate change statewide, with a focus on communities that are overburdened by a history of environmental injustice. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of climate policy, experience working in state government or as a state policy advocate, and will have participated in an advocacy coalition that has identified equity as a central policy concern. The Director will report directly to the Executive Director and will work in close collaboration with the organization’s deputy director, political director and other members of the staff.
- Work with the Executive Director and staff to create an effective and bold climate policy and climate justice program;
- Serve as the organization’s lead policy expert, spokesperson, and legislative advocate on climate change and climate justice;
- Design and advance Maryland LCV’s long-term legislative and policy agenda that reduces the impact of climate change on Marylanders and communities disproportionately impacted by emissions, including:
- Advance legislative proposals and regulatory policies that will reduce the impacts of climate change, including those that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote renewable energy sources and advance promising new technologies;
- Work with and lobby members of the Maryland General Assembly and the Administration, serve on committees and workgroups, write and present testimony, comment letters, etc.;
- Ensure that policies are equitable, bringing social and economic opportunities to communities that have not had access in the past.
- Oversee and manage education efforts to meet organizational climate change goals, including:
- Organize climate policy forums for legislators, policy makers, and candidates;
- Develop position statements and white papers, op-eds, candidate questionnaires, and other related briefing materials;
- Work with staff and partners to develop campaigns to support climate policy proposals including communications, grassroots organizing and political strategy;
- Represent Maryland LCV on state-level technical workgroups, commissions and coalitions; serve as Maryland LCV’s primary contact on climate issues with National LCV climate program staff.
- Manage a Climate Change Fellow to assist with research, track and analyze climate and equity data and policies in Maryland and throughout the country;
- Assist in fundraising efforts to support the climate change program by sharing information, developing proposal and report content, and participating in donor meetings;
- Work closely with Maryland LCV’s grassroots organizing efforts in environmental justice communities.
- 3-5 years of experience in climate change advocacy and/or policy development.
- Demonstrated experience in state or local advocacy campaigns and working in the legislature.
- Experience collaboratively facilitating coalitions.
- Ability to synthesize policy goals into campaign demands and public messaging.
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to translate legislative language and policy research into accessible public materials.
- Ability to consistently integrate racial justice and equity concepts into projects and interactions.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational / time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter and problem-solver.
- Ability to work under periods of high intensity pressure and deadlines, multi-task and work both independently and in team settings.
- Shares Maryland LCV’s commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of Maryland LCV.
Salary and Compensation: Salary range is $85K - $95K depending on qualifications and experience. The salary is accompanied by a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off, and a 401K plan with an employer match.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the organization is working from home. Outside of the pandemic the position is based in Annapolis. The Director of Climate Policy and Justice reports to the Executive Director. After business hours work may be required.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and salary range to Kim Coble at firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Climate Policy and Justice in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. Ideal start date is December 2021.
Maryland LCV, a 501(c)(4) organization activates Marylanders to promote and pass equitable laws and policies for clean water, healthy air and a resilient climate. We hold elected officials accountable, and educate and endorse candidates for public office. The Maryland LCV Education Fund is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports and amplifies a diverse and inclusive environmental movement across the state. Through outreach and education, the Education Fund supports communities disproportionately impacted by environmental injustices and builds grassroots field capacity for legislative advocacy and environmental issues. The Maryland LCV PAC is the organization that directly helps elect pro-conservation candidates.
Maryland LCV & Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.