Director of Accounting
Type of Job
$100,000 - $115,000
Jun 21, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Director of Accounting to join our Finance team. This position is responsible for the direct supervision of the General Accounting and Treasury Accounting team and functions, including financial processing, recording, reconciliations, and analysis of NWF and the operating cash and long-term investments. This position is also generally accountable for effectively providing management and oversight for the insurance related services provided to NWF. This position will also be responsible for process innovation and for maintaining a high degree of accuracy and controls over the recording and reporting of all revenue and cash management.
Principal Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Directs the recording and analysis of financial activities related to the revenue generating programs. Prepare entries and analyses for revenue recognition, deferred revenue, earned income, accounts receivable, bad debt analysis, etc. This includes managing the internal and external relationships necessary for receiving appropriate and timely information from third parties for monthly financial statement closing.
- Directs cash management functions including: cash concentration, wire transfers, cash receipts and cash forecasting and budget.
- Supervise the preparation of monthly entries, analysis and reconciliation for all non-disbursement accounts - i.e., accounts receivable, bank accounts, bequest income and others. Ensure all reconciling items are addressed on a monthly basis and analyses are kept up-to-date.
- Manage the Federation's banking and investment management relationships to meet organizational objectives.
- Assist senior management by serving as the lead financial representative in establishing financial reporting needs and requirements of cash flow, treasury, insurance needs and miscellaneous cash receipts. Responsible for establishing and keeping up-to-date documentation of general accounting, cash management, treasury, and insurance administration procedures.
- Recommend and implement process improvements over the general accounting, cash management, treasury and insurance functions.
- Oversee the processing of miscellaneous cash deposits through MACS and lead the conversion from MACS to Infor CloudSuite system.
- Complete the implementation of the Infor CloudSuite Cash Module.
- Relay organizational changes and project information about NWF and its related entities to the insurance agent to acquire the appropriate insurance coverage, this includes: completing insurance applications, providing change endorsements, assisting with audits, and review of contracts for appropriate insurance language. This position also interacts with all divisions and levels of NWF to provide insurance information to the staff. Supervise and review journal entries and analyses to ensure the accurate recording of transactions for insurance activities and related functions.
- Stay abreast of technological improvements and implementation of specific bank and credit card services to accommodate NWF programs, this includes contract review and price negotiation for the services.
- Be accountable for the debt administration of lines of credit, letters of credit, and debt financed agreements, this includes contract review and price negotiation, the review of commitment fees and interest payments, providing reports required by the loan covenants, and initiating drawdowns from the bond escrow accounts.
- Implement and stay abreast of IRS, GAAP, FAS, state and other regulatory requirements that affect the accounting and reporting of NWF financial activities.
- Work with the Controller or CFO to provide any financial reports or materials that may be needed for the Federation, Board of Directors, or other various committees.
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned to meet departmental objectives.
Formal Education and/or Special Training Required:
Undergraduate degree in Accounting, CPA preferred.
8-10 years of related accounting, cash management, and investment experience, ideally in the not for profit industry. Extensive knowledge of disbursement function is required.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and customer service skills
- Ability to engage with diverse teams and groups as well as work independently
- Attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the Infor CloudSuite Financial system
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities to meet critical deadlines
This position may directly supervise up to 5 employees.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized.
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions.
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them.
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s required equity competencies at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Potentially 1-2 times per year.
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our Headquarters in Reston, VA. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in the office, or in a hybrid manner, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process. For more information on Work Modes, please review the benefits section of our careers page: https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $100,000 - $115,000, commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
For more information on our recruiting process, please review our Careers page: https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.