Director, Strategic Communications
Type of Job
$130,000 - $180,000
Nov 27, 2022
About the job
The California Budget & Policy Center (Budget Center) seeks to hire a Director of Strategic Communications to oversee the organization’s efforts to connect with key audiences and stakeholders through digital/online tools, media relations, the strategic release of Budget Center reports and analyses, and other activities. As a member of the organization’s senior leadership team, the Director of Strategic Communications plays a key role in positioning the Budget Center for maximum reach and impact and in helping to advance public policy choices that can broaden prosperity in our state.
About the California Budget & Policy Center
The team at the Budget Center works every day to build a more inclusive California where everyone has the opportunity to participate fully in the state’s economic, social, and political life. This requires our state to make smart policy choices and public investments. By examining the most pressing budget and policy issues and making them accessible and understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that work for all Californians, especially those individuals and communities who have not yet shared in our state’s economic prosperity.
How This Position Advances the Organization’s Work
The Budget Center’s communications activities help promote the organization’s goals by ensuring that our research, analysis, and commentary reach a wide and growing audience. This includes state and local policymakers and their staffs, advocates and other community leaders, foundations and funding networks, the media, researchers and academics, and other influential individuals and organizations. The Budget Center’s communications efforts aim to increase understanding of budget, tax, economic, and policy issues important to low- and middle-income Californians. The Budget Center is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences.
Roles, Responsibilities, and Qualifications
Key activities of the Director of Strategic Communications include: developing and implementing communications strategies, both to advance the Budget Center’s overall visibility and impact and to promote events and analyses; leading message and framing development and strategy; overseeing the Budget Center’s website and broader digital strategy (social media, email, interactive tools, etc.); writing op-eds, media releases, email alerts, and other materials; providing media training and guidance to staff; editing Budget Center products (publications, charts and other graphics as well as blog posts and other online content) to ensure clarity and accessibility; assisting with media requests for information, and moderating media teleconferences.
The Director of Strategic Communications often serves as a spokesperson for the Budget Center, delivers presentations to stakeholder groups, and represents the organization with selected statewide, regional, and national networks. The Director of Strategic Communications directly supervises a communications team that includes, at current, three members who provide support and help coordinate communications strategies and activities.
Qualifications for the position include:
· Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
· 7-10 years of relevant experience in communications, external affairs, or public affairs; some prior management and supervisory experience strongly preferred.
· Understanding of digital tools and strategy, including prior experience with website management (including analytics), email strategy, and social media strategy and tactics.
· Strong technology skills, including some experience with applications/tools for website content management, graphic design, basic video and photo editing, and database management.
· Knowledge of California’s changing media environment, including key outlets and journalists, as well as of the state’s policy environment.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex subjects in a way that is understandable to a non-expert audience.
· Strong editing skills.
· Willingness to work as a part of a highly collaborative team and enthusiasm for building relationships with key stakeholders and partners in our work.
· Extensive project management experience.
· Prior work experience with federal, state or local budget or policymaking processes.
This position is full-time. The salary range for the position is $130,000 to $180,000 based on experience and skill set. Includes health insurance and dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, holidays, and family leave. In-person, hybrid, or remote work arrangements will be considered. Budget Center staff are required to be located in California regardless of remote work arrangements. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, send a resume; three relevant writing samples or a digital portfolio; cover letter; and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by direct mail to the address below. No calls please.
Director of Strategic Communications
California Budget & Policy Center
1107 9th Street, Suite 310
Sacramento, CA 95814
The Budget Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.