Director, Membership Marketing
Type of Job
$85,000 to $100,000
Aug 23, 2021
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The National Wildlife Federation believes that in order to save wildlife and ourselves, we need to ensure that everyone in America has clean air and water, safe communities, easy and equitable access to the daily benefits of nature, and protection from the ravages of climate change. These basic needs, equally necessary and urgent for all people, are foundational to bringing the conservation movement and ethos into the 21st century.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Director, Membership Marketing, to join our team in Reston, VA. Leading a team of direct mail marketing professionals and analysts, you will bring a mix of marketing expertise and business understanding to the position, promoting the Federation and our efforts in uniting all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in a rapidly changing world.
We’re looking for an experienced professional, someone that can inspire others, and take our creative analysis and strategy to a new level as we continue to grow. The ideal candidate will have a natural eye for package design and the production process, possess a deep understanding of a storytelling approach to fundraising, and a drive to inspire dynamic ideas that connect with all types of audiences. A knack for numbers and analysis, along with budget and projection acumen will round out the skills needed to fulfill this position.
This is a leadership position critical in building a value-oriented membership base of support. You will collaborate closely with the AVP of Membership in developing donor-centered, multichannel plans and strategies to effectively engage everyone in America in all the ways they relate to the natural world, whether as outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, climbers, cyclists, campers, hunters, anglers, birders, educators, farmers or conservation stewards.
Objectives of this Role:
- Mentor, lead, and review work of the membership marketing team in the creation and production of all print and membership marketing collateral
- Collaborate with the marketing analysts in developing marketing plans, analyzing results, and identifying opportunities
- Meet budget standards by forecasting and managing expenses
- Spearhead and manage content strategy for direct mail campaigns, harnessing compelling content, and working with internal and external partners to ensure effective branding
- Develop internal marketing campaigns that translate marketing objectives across business units into clear and motivating creative strategies
- Analyze brand tracking, market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape
In this role you will:
- Supervise vendor partners including graphic designers, copywriters, social media experts, photographers/videographers, and agency consultants in the strategic development of messaging and deliverables
- Prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, copywriters, and production partners
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the Membership team, others in Philanthropy and across the Federation, agency consultants, artists and copywriters.
- Maintain strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Manage and mentor the membership marketing team to build a stronger understanding of member-driven organizational priorities and the further development of marketing skills
- Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling engagement and fundraising materials
- In conjunction with the AVP of Membership, contribute to design, build and management of the annual budget, monthly re-projections, and five-year forecasting for all programs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 7+ years of professional experience with 5+ dedicated to direct marketing at an agency, nonprofit organization, or corporate setting
- Established experience creating marketing campaigns from developing vision and the message platform, to overseeing production on time and within budget
- Understanding and past experience with membership programs and direct mail marketing campaigns, but also understanding how to integrate content across marketing channels to better fundraising results
- Proven experience with concept development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to engage with a variety of audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities
- Dedicated to deepening understanding of cultural and systemic racism and the intersectionality of multiple forms of social inequality
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines is required.
- Must have experience working with a variety of vendors and managing out-sourced functions.
- Highly skilled with leading a team of marketing and creative talent
- Knowledge of industry trends
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in marketing or business
- Prior experience with copywriting, design, or production
- Prior project management experience, with a focus on creative direction
- Passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places is highly desirable. Experience in environmental conservation a plus
Further, in this position, your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $100,000, depending on experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.