Director, Membership Marketing
Type of Job
$95,000 - $115,000
Apr 25, 2023
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking a Director, Membership to join our Membership Marketing Team in Reston, VA. Leading a team of direct mail marketing professionals and analysts, the Director, Membership will bring a mix of marketing expertise and business understanding to the position, promoting the Federation and our efforts in uniting all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in a rapidly changing world.
We’re looking for an experienced manager, someone that can inspire others, and take our creative, analysis and strategy to a new level as we continue to grow. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding for numbers and analysis, along with budget and projection acumen. An eye for package design and the production process, along with a knack for a storytelling approach to fundraising, and a drive to inspire dynamic ideas that connect with all types of audiences will round out the skills needed to fulfill this position.
This is a leadership position critical in building a value-oriented membership base of support. They will collaborate closely with the AVP for Membership in developing donor-centered, multichannel plans and strategies to effectively engage everyone in America in all the ways they relate to the natural world, whether as outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, climbers, cyclists, campers, hunters, anglers, birders, educators, farmers or conservation stewards.
Objectives of this Role
- Mentor, lead, and review work of the membership marketing team in the creation and production of all print and membership marketing collateral
- Collaborate with the marketing analysts in developing marketing plans, analyzing results, and identifying opportunities
- Meet budget standards by forecasting and managing expenses
- Spearhead and manage content strategy for direct mail campaigns, harnessing compelling content, and working with internal and external partners to ensure effective branding
- Develop internal marketing campaigns that translate marketing objectives across business units into clear and motivating creative strategies
- Analyze brand tracking, market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape
Principle Duties (major areas of responsibility):
- Oversee vendors including graphic designers, copywriters, production partners, data processing providers, data cooperatives, social media experts, photographers/videographers, and agency consultants in the strategic development of messaging and campaigns
- Prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, copywriters, and production partners
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the Membership team, others in Philanthropy and across the Federation, and with consultants, artists and copywriters.
- Develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Develop marketing mail, list plans and testing strategies and participate in analyzing results, and identifying opportunities
- Manage and mentor the membership marketing team to build a stronger understanding of member-driven organizational priorities and the further development of marketing skills
- Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling engagement and fundraising materials
- In conjunction with the AVP for Membership, contribute to design, build and management of the annual budget, monthly re-projections, and five-year forecasting for all programs
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 7+ years of professional experience with 5+ dedicated to direct marketing at a large multi-faceted nonprofit organization, an agency, or corporate setting
- Experience creating marketing campaigns from developing vision and the message platform to overseeing production on time and within budget
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to consistently meet deadlines is required
- Experience with membership programs and direct mail marketing campaigns, but also understanding how to integrate content across marketing channels to better fundraising results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to engage with a variety of audiences
- Dedication to deepening understanding of cultural and systemic racism and the intersectionality of multiple forms of social inequality
- Must have experience working with a variety of vendors and managing out-sourced functions
- Passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places is highly desirable. Experience in environmental conservation a plus
- Highly skilled with leading a team of marketing and creative talent
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
Location and Work Mode:
This position is based out of our Headquarters in Reston, VA. The National Wildlife Federation is committed to a flexible and empowered work environment with an authentic community of care for all staff. In this position, the employee may work in the office, in a hybrid manner, or fully remote, to be decided jointly with their supervisor in the final stages of the interview process.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $95,000 - $115,000, commensurate with experience.
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.