Director, Member Care
Type of Job
Oct 11, 2022
About the job
Job Title: Director - Member Care
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports To: Managing Director, Member Care
Supervises: 4 to 5 Member Care Representatives
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Director, Member Care is responsible for staff that respond to members, donors and the general public who have questions regarding Sierra Club benefits, programs and/or data records. Oversees telephone, mail and email responses, working collaboratively with all departments to respond to inquiries, research issues, update database records and resolve escalated problems as necessary. The Director, Member Care will also work with the Member Care team to provide customer service support for digital properties, including Adopt a Wild Animal (direct donation program), online store, Facebook, and Addup (Sierra Club’s online advocacy hub). As Sierra Club attracts a growing Latinx constituency, works with Membership Development to develop a strategy for Spanish language competency.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Supervises staff on the delivery of customer service to members, donors and the general public, including call monitoring and call coaching. Establishes and oversees the delivery of such service and works to develop and implement standards for responding to telephone, email and regular mail inquiries, in consultation with the Managing Director, Member Care.
- Assigns work, establishes priorities and provides general and technical guidance to team members. Prepares and conducts performance evaluations, makes hiring and termination recommendations and ensures the development and training of Member Care staff.
- Identifies and evaluates unusual trends or possible problems occurring in the communications with the membership. Assist in leading Voice of the Member team meetings. Report back to Managing Director, Member Care on positive and negative trends from Sierra Club members and Champions.
- Develop new membership care capabilities and processes for Sierra Club’s digital properties, including but not limited to, support of Sierra Club’s e-commerce (online store, Adopt A Wild Animal), and social media (focus on Facebook).
- Coordinates the gathering and preparation of weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly tracking reports relevant to call, mail, email and member service volumes and contact trends. Evaluates where individuals and overall team need to improve efficiency and engages individuals/team to make changes and improvements where necessary.
- Researches and responds to inquiries from members, staff or volunteer leaders concerning membership, donor records, updates or problems; corrects and cancels membership and donor records, including preparation and approval of refund requests; identifies appropriate offices or individuals within the organization to respond to requests which fall outside the scope of Member Care.
- Undertakes special projects as requested by the Managing Director, Member Care and prepares special projects and reports, using various applications.
- Works to demonstrate and cultivate a strong member service ethic among staff in Member Care. Including developing staff training materials and oversight of our call mentoring program.
- Coordinates and integrates the information on individual donor and member records to assure that all Club systems have current information and that specific program applications are applied to the individual records.
- Coordinates the Member Care intranet sites, including working with program managers on revising current site information and adding new forms/information to meet department objectives.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Significant supervisory experience in a customer service setting. Demonstrated ability to set priorities, hire, manage and motivate a team, establish and achieve individual and team goals for quality, timeliness, and volume of transactions handled, as well as resolve routine business and customer satisfaction problems.
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a collaborative team to identify and solve problems.
- General knowledge of applications in database manipulation and retrieval and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large volumes of diverse and detailed information.
- Operationalizing Equity. You model effective equity analysis and practice and demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of how group dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work. Your decision-making is consistent, intentional, and committed to creating equitable outcomes at all levels. You have led high-performing and leaderful teams across group identities. You intervene when challenging group dynamics play out, in ways that build understanding, trust, and deeper self-awareness of team members.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Office experience including recordkeeping, data entry, with word-processing and/or spreadsheet applications.
- Experience working on the Salesforce platform
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $100,000, non-negotiable.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 3 exempt non-represented, supervisory position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until this position is filled.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.