Digital Storyteller/Social Media Manager
Type of Job
$55,000 - $75,000
May 18, 2021
About the job
Community management and digital storytelling will be critical to our success and we are looking for a creative and engaging communicator to lead these efforts. You will be responsible for bringing the Garden for Wildlife brand, mission, and products to life through digital channels and helping to grow and engage our community across social media. The position reports to the Garden for Wildlife Director of Marketing. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until we make return to work decisions). We are looking for someone excited by new challenges. We want you to use your passion to innovate, learn new tools and techniques and identify improvements to promote the conservation goals.
Garden for Wildlife is an initiative within the National Wildlife Federation that aims to revolutionize the way people plant so that, together, we can reverse a declining trend among important backyard wildlife species (think butterflies, birds, and bees). It sounds like a lofty goal but it’s actually very doable. The key is to get people to plant native plants. Unfortunately, this solution isn’t well-known and native plants aren’t always easy to find. Insert lightbulb emoji… We identified the plants that help the highest numbers of wildlife species, based on science, and we partnered with sustainable growers to provide those plants. We sell these native plant collections on our website and we ship directly to our customers’ doorstep. Ultimately, we make it easier than ever for anyone—whether a first-timer or the greenest of thumbs—to garden for wildlife and make a real impact. It’s a unique business model, and we’re sharply focused on success, which leads to an exciting startup-like feeling business environment for our team within the larger organization of National Wildlife Federation.
About The National Wildlife Federation
The National Wildlife Federation is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and stripes. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. We advance this mission through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, advancing environmental justice, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
- Social Media Management—Lead execution and growth of the Garden for Wildlife social presence across platforms, helping to build and maintain a robust, engaged community and also drive product sales.
- Storytelling & Content Creation—Curate and create engaging content that will share and amplify the Garden for Wildlife story (brand, mission, and products) across digital channels.
- Brand Representative—You’ll oversee our public-facing customer engagement style, serving as the primary representative and front-line voice of our brand within our digital communities.
- Reputation & Community Management – You’ll actively listen to what’s being said about us, responding when and how appropriate and sharing learnings with the broader team so, together, we can provide the best products and overall experience possible.
- Strategy—Work with Marketing Director to determine social strategy, including content pillars and post frequency across platforms.
- Content Creation—Use all storytelling mediums (user-generated content, social media as a whole, video, photography, the products themselves) to curate and create on-brand content that educates and engages potential and current customers and drives sales.
- Content Calendar—Develop and own the social media content calendar, soliciting input from larger team as needed.
- Execution—Execute organic posts across all social channels (currently Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and LinkedIn).
- Collaboration—Collaborate cross-functionally with all Garden for Wildlife stakeholders and other key partners within National Wildlife Federation to share learnings, support organizational goals where appropriate, and garner fresh ideas.
- Innovation & Growth—Stay up-to-date with the latest social media trends, technologies, and best practices. Always be innovating, initiating, and creating.
- Listening—Perform regular audits of our brand’s social presence. Listen to networks, blogs, and forums for brand mentions and keywords and identify ways we can continue to add value with these communities. Keep track of trending stories that might be related to our interests.
- Measurement & Reporting— Develop and own reporting and analysis of all organic social channels and influencers. Set metrics for campaigns, analyze the data, and provide reports/findings on opportunities to improve campaigns, increase audience reach, etc.
- Testing & Optimization—Run experiments to test and optimize post performance. Test into new social channels, when appropriate. Always be learning and growing.
- Partnerships—Identify opportunities to grow through partnerships (affiliates, influencers), working with Marketing Director to initiate and manage relationships.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or similar
- At least 5+ years of communications, marketing, or similar experience (2 years of which must be focused in Social Media)
- Proven experience as a social media strategist who is able to increase brand awareness, followers, and impressions
- Experience in content creation, copywriting, editing, marketing, public relations, or similar advertising position(s). A love of developing innovative, effective messaging across multiple channels and using different mediums to tell stories.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong attention to detail, and solid time- and task-management abilities
- Understanding of SEO and web traffic
- Maintain an understanding of emerging digital trends, as well as digital marketing strategies and best practices
Nice to Have
- E-commerce experience
- Knowledge of Google Analytics
- Knowledge of Facebook Business Manager and similar
- Knowledge of Social Studio, Sprout Social, Hootsuite, or similar tools
Equally Important Skills
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, and growth mind-set; self-starter
- Passion for telling stories in creative ways
- Love of social media, technology, and the internet in general
- Strong communicator and collaborator
- An enthusiasm for tackling challenges and making an impact
- Customer-first mentality
What we’ll give you
- The salary range for this position is currently $55,000 - $75,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
- A positive, collaborative, supportive and flexible work environment that encourages experimentation and creativity
- The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
- We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at org/equity.
- If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
- The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.