Digital Organizer (Remote Possible)
Type of Job
Mid-50s, adjusted for experience over the minimum requirements and with some adjustment possible for those located in more expensive locations.
Apr 18, 2022
About the job
Join our growing national team to fight for the health of people and the planet, and eliminate environmental injustice. Help persuade industry and government policymakers to eliminate toxic chemical hazards, slash plastic pollution, and end environmental racism.
Defend Our Health works to create a world where all people thrive, with equal access to safe food and drinking water, healthy homes, and products that are toxic-free and climate-friendly. Working at the state and national levels, we harness science and people power in strategic campaigns that win meaningful progress toward systemic change.
The Digital Organizer will manage our digital program and coordinate all online engagement activitiesto amplify our narrative, deepen our base, inspire action, and fundraise for our programs. The Digital Organizer will report to the Communications Director and will coordinate closely with our campaign and fundraising teams to achieve program and organizational objectives. They will use digital technologies and data to continually improve outcomes.
The focus of the Digital Organizer’s work will be to:
· Manage our overall digital program and optimize our online impact in coordination with our communications, fundraising, and program campaign teams.
· Collaborate with staff, partners, and coalitions on digital campaign planning.
· Consolidate our existing online engagement efforts, now diffused across multiple staff as part-time responsibilities, into a new full-time dedicated leadership position.
· Lead efforts to improve and segment our lists to increase online engagement nationally.
· Produce and deliver high quality action alerts that meet program campaign needs.
· Use online petitions, our social media platforms, and other techniques to recruit and engage new supporters, build our base, and organize people into taking action.
· Coordinate with staff teams to optimally execute paid social media advertising.
· Develop and execute online fund appealsin coordination with our fundraising team, including experimenting with new approaches and tools to reach prospects.
· Track, analyze and report on relevant metrics related to online engagement and recommend opportunities for improvement.
In addition to a deep commitmentto our mission and to racial and economic justice, candidates must have at least three years of professional experience that includes:
· Experience in the use of CRMs, email advocacy, and fundraising software.
· Experience in using paid and organic social media to support online organizing.
· Strong skills in utilizing and reporting on data analytics for email, social media, website, and fund appeals.
· Excellent copywriting skills to support online content generation.
· Ability to translate complex issues into plain language that resonates.
· Understanding of organizing, issue advocacy campaigns, and/or political campaigns with demonstrated experience integrating digital components into them.
· Ability to work well collaboratively with diverse groups of people and teams, receiving and balancing input from multiple stakeholders.
· Well organized with excellent attention to detail and follow through.
· Good project management skills, while comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with multiple changing demands.
The ideal candidate will also have:
· Demonstrated experience in building email lists and running effective email campaigns to support advocacy, organizing, and fundraising.
· Digital organizing experience around environmental justice and health issues.
· Electronic fundraising experience with successful results.
· Experience working with online-to-offline organizing programs.
· Non-English language proficiency (e.g. Spanish).
· Experience in managing external contracts and vendors.
· Graphic design experience e.g. Canva, Adobe Photoshop.
Defend Our Health believes that all people have a right to safe food and drinking water, healthy homes, and products that are toxic-free and climate friendly. We’ll stand up for this right whenever it is threatened. We use the best science, strategy and people power to persuade governments and corporations to deliver environmental health and justice. In the workplace and in the world, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
Location: You may work out of your home anywhere in the US reasonably near an air hub, with occasional travel to our office, campaign locations, or to meet with partners. Or we’d be glad to welcome you to our office in Portland, Maine, a New England gem where food is fab, local music is great, and craft beer is flowing! In a state known as “vacationland,” you’ll find hiking, biking, skiing, boating, and beautiful beaches are all close by. It’s your choice.
Salary: Mid-50s, adjusted for experience over the minimum requirements and with some adjustment possible for those located in more expensive locations.
Benefits: Medical, disability, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) with matching; four weeks paid vacation, a generous number of paid holidays, as well as sick leave.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter highlighting your interest in the position and how your skills and background align with the qualifications, a writing sample, and your resume using our online application: https://jsco.re/bvl6f
Application Deadline: Application review will take place as applications are received and until a hire is made. Please see our website to confirm if we are still accepting applications.
Defend Our Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, disability, or national origin.