Digital Media Member
Flat Rock, NC
Type of Job
Nov 22, 2022
About the job
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nonprofit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service is seeking ONE Digital Media Member to contribute to a new resource study that focuses on Black history at Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site. The ACE Member will work directly with the visitor services division to create interpretive and education products from the resource study. Products include social media posts, web articles, walking tour app content, and public education programs.
For more information about ACE, please visit the website www.usaconservation.org.
Start Date: January 3rd, 2023 (flexibility available for the right candidate)
End Date: August 19th, 2023 (or 33 weeks after start date)
*a 33-week minimum commitment is required *
Location: Flat Rock, NC
Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site preserves Connemara, the home of Pulitzer Prize-winning poet and writer Carl Sandburg. Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site (CARL) is located in western North Carolina about 30 minutes southeast of Asheville, NC. The site is the last home of Carl Sandburg (1878 - 1967), poet, biographer, folk singer, social activist, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author. His wife and family raised champion dairy goats; the park continues to maintain a small herd. The 264-acre park features an historic home, barn and outbuildings and over five miles of wooded trails.
To learn more about CARL, please visit the NPS website at: http://www.nps.gov/carl/index.htm.
Living Allowance: The ACE member is expected to contribute ~ 40 hours/week and will receive a living allowance of $680/week to cover the costs of food and incidental expenses, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: Housing at the NPS site may be available, but is not guaranteed.
AmeriCorps: This position may be eligible for a 1200-hour AmeriCorps Education Award ($4,546.50) upon successful completion of service hours. Additional enrollment steps are required.
Personal Vehicle: Grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, libraries, and other infrastructure are spread out by 5 miles or more. The Member must have a personal vehicle for personal errands.
Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site is seeking a ACE Member to work with a new resource study that focuses on Black history at the site. The Member will work within the visitor services division to create interpretive and education products from the resource study. Products include social media posts, web articles, walking tour app content, and public education programs.
The Member will use existing digital platforms for content such as Facebook, Instagram, and the official park website managed through a CMS interface. While training will be provided for adding content to these existing platforms, the Member should already have knowledge of photo editing, familiarity with social media platforms, enthusiasm for producing digital media, and strong writing skills.
Work will be performed primarily indoors using a computer. Member will also be trained in traditional visitor services to occasionally assist with house tours, visitor information, and special events.
The historic site has long been known for its connection to the Sandburg family who lived there from 1945-1967. However, going back to the early 1800's, under previous landholders, the site was the home of enslaved persons and later Black servants. The Historic Resource Study: Black Lives and Whitened Stories, explores the history of these residents and how they contributed to the site.
This individual placement is meant to facilitate professional development and promotes exposure to land management agencies and networking with professionals. This could include gaining experience in different conservation fields and shadowing different work groups.
Public Land Corps Hiring Authority: Members serving under this agreement may be eligible for a hiring authority upon completion of their term of service. PLC projects also include specific eligibility requirements such as age and citizenship. Please contact ACE staff with questions about eligibility.
- Members must be US citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the partner organization in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- A personal vehicle
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request)
- Willing to undergo and must pass required criminal history checks.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- ACE Members must verify that they are fully vaccinated for Covid-19 or have requested and been granted a medical or religious exemption to vaccination by the time they start their term.
- To learn more about eligibility requirements, please visit our website here.
- Knowledge of photo editing, familiarity with social media platforms, and enthusiasm for producing digital media.
- Strong writing skills.
- Competitive applicants for this position can hold or be pursuing a minimum of a bachelor's degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas such as History, Public Speaking and English.
- Knowledge and skills in the principles of customer service.
- A strong demonstrated interest and/or education in the field of natural and cultural resources.
- Effective communication skills with diverse audiences.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and experience, and via the online application page for this position here: https://usaconservation.applicantpool.com/jobs/. A one page nonfiction writing sample may also be requested after the application is received.
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact ACE EPIC Recruitment Specialist, Emanuel Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.