Digital Marketing Manager
Santa Rosa, CA, United States
Type of Job
Apr 5, 2023
About the job
Job Title: Digital Marketing Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Media Relations
Sonoma Land Trust (SLT) seeks an accomplished writer and communicator to develop and deliver content that builds awareness, affinity, and engagement with our work and mission. The Digital Marketing Manager will assist with the creation, editing, and distribution of content across all SLT’s platforms including monthly email marketing campaigns, social media, and organizational websites. The Digital Marketing Manager will compose compelling stories in both long and short form and in a wide array of styles including narrative, journalistic, and persuasive. This position will help shift the perception of nature simply being an amenity to the awareness that the health of the land is inseparable from our own.
Sonoma Land Trust serves a diverse audience with broad cultural heritages, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, and orientations. We encourage applications from candidates who reflect and value the audiences and populations we serve. Our commitment to these values is defined in our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan and this role will be responsible for implementing pieces of this plan.
The Digital Marketing Manager has the important role of taking complex ideas such as land conservation, nature-based solutions, and climate resilience practices and translating them into relatable stories that bring diverse audiences closer to this work. They are not only a skilled writer, but they also understand the power of the written word to create connections, build agency, and inspire action.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Media Relations, the Digital Marketing Manager will execute a strategic plan that focuses on strengthening our lines of communication with diverse audiences using a variety of platforms that bolster connections with our mission and programs, drawing a deeper appreciation for Sonoma Land Trust and the importance of land conservation. They will also work closely with outside contractors to deliver compelling content across various mediums including print, digital, video and graphics.
Expertise in environmental and climate change is not required, but a passion for understanding these topics, the ability to conduct thorough research, and a commitment to accuracy is essential.
- Conduct research, write, edit, and finalize print, broadcast, and online communications materials, to showcase SLT’s projects and programs, including social media, monthly newsletter, and media pitches.
- Ensure information is presented accurately, clearly, and in alignment with SLT’s brand and voice.
- Create a wide variety of stories to connect with diverse audiences that cover’s the range of SLT’s work.
- Identify narratives that matter most to the proposed audience and craft the stories in the language and medium most familiar and accessible to reach them.
- Oversee, review, and edit content produced by contractors and staff including social media posts, newsletter articles and philanthropy materials.
- Lead the implementation of the organization’s email and digital marketing program; responsible for the delivery of monthly newsletter and the coordination of social media posts.
- Maintain organizational structure for digital assets including photography and videos.
- Coordinate, strategize and execute communications outreach tactics with the philanthropy team for fundraising campaigns.
- Serves as the project manager for assigned projects and initiatives; develops project structure, strategies, budgets, and timelines; coordinates and evaluates the work of SLT staff and consultants, contractors, vendors, to ensure timely and appropriate project completion; monitors and approves expenditures.
- A genuine passion for land conservation and an interest in land trusts.
- Excellent written communication and copywriting skills, including proven ability to craft engaging emails, ad copy, as well as fundraising and advocacy forms.
- Proven experience leading email strategy and executing the campaign from end to end.
- Ability to analyze Google and social media metrics and make recommendations on content changes to improve engagement rates.
- Strong experience with office software programs including Microsoft 365, Google Suite, BOX, Canva, and Hootsuite.
- Must be an efficient, highly productive multitasker, with the ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated success in developing compelling stories in both short and long formats.
- 3-5 years of experience working with nonprofit communications department.
- A Bachelor's degree in English, communications, marketing, or journalism or equivalent experience working in a related field with a minimum of five years of experience.
- Established email marketing capabilities and familiarity of social media platforms functions and trends.
- Fluent in Spanish is preferred but not required.
About Sonoma Land Trust
Sonoma Land Trust works in alliance with nature to conserve and restore the integrity of the land, with a focus on climate resiliency. The organization is also committed to ensuring more equitable access to the outdoors. Since 1976, the non-profit Land Trust has protected more than 57,000 acres of scenic, natural, agricultural, and open land for future generations. Sonoma Land Trust is accredited by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission and was the recipient of the 2019 Land Trust Alliance Award of Excellence. For more information, please visit sonomalandtrust.org.
We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment that is representative of the communities we serve. We know that having varied perspectives leads to better outcomes to solve the complex problems of conservation, climate change and environmental justice in Sonoma County.
Schedule, Salary & Benefits
Position is full time, 40 hours per week (exempt status). Salary starting at $75,000 and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous employer contributions to medical, dental and vision insurance plans. Employer contribution to retirement plan after 1 year of employment. Paid time off includes 15 paid holidays, paid vacation based on tenure and personal and parental leave in accordance with SLT policies and procedures.
This position is located at the Sonoma Land Trust office in Santa Rosa, California, however the current schedule is a hybrid work model.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter that references your personal connection/experience with nature and why this role interests you
3. A writing portfolio with samples that demonstrate different content lengths and tones (examples may include blogs, social media posts, press releases, donation appeal letters, and articles).
4. A writing sample of 250 words or less announcing a new family-focused bilingual outings program that offers hikes in Sonoma County for a Latinx newspaper (get creative!)
Sonoma Land Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We strive to create a diverse and inclusive organization and encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, sexes, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.