Digital Grassroots Director
Silver Spring, MD & Remote
Type of Job
May 17, 2022
About the job
Job Opening: Digital Grassroots Director
Deadline: May 30, 2022
Potomac Conservancy seeks an online grassroots leader to engage and grow our local movement of clean water supporters. As Digital Grassroots Director, you’ll mobilize this community and help it become an ever-powerful force of nature that drives positive, transformative change.
Founded in 1993, Potomac Conservancy is an environmental nonprofit with 31,000 supporters in the greater Washington, DC metro area. We are the region’s leading clean water advocate, fighting to ensure the Potomac River boasts clean drinking water, healthy lands, and vibrant communities. We lead a passionate movement that empowers us to conserve riverside forests, pass strong water protection laws, and build strong communities.
We’re committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees, and to providing employees with a welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities and those who have been historically less included in the environmental movement.
The Director will be joining at a critical moment for the organization as we launch an exciting, large-scale growth plan that will greatly expand our impact in the Potomac River region. Serving in a key role on Team Potomac, the Director will oversee a digital engagement strategy that will drive robust public support for the Conservancy’s advocacy, volunteer, conservation, and fundraising efforts. The Director will report to the Vice President of Communications and work in a collaborative environment that is driven to meet the organization’s clean water goals. The Director’s aim is to:
Strategically build the movement and deepen supporter engagement
- Define and implement online outreach and conversion strategies with a focus on growing the number of supporters engaging in activism and first-time giving.
- Coordinate multichannel call-to-actions, move supporters up the ladder of engagement, and deepen their involvement.
- Develop persuasive campaign messaging and effective digital creatives including emails, action forms, website action center, social media posts, ads, etc.
Strengthen the influence and inclusivity of our movement
- Lead online outreach to target ally and community groups to expand our grassroots network and amplify public engagement efforts.
- Promote a community-driven approach that invites community input, embraces co-sharing of power, and centers BIPOC communities and those who have been historically marginalized.
- Assist with press releases, media outreach, opinion pieces, and public-facing rapid response.
- Support the Director of Communications’ efforts to capture and share supporter stories.
Improve engagement efforts through systems and applied analytics
- Enhance planning systems that support organizing, messaging, fundraising, and narrative flow.
- Leverage content testing to gain insights about our supporters and optimize engagement efforts.
- Manage communications-related data, coding, and tracking systems in our CRM system, EveryAction.
- Assist with some invoicing and communications-related administrative tasks.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Passionate about Potomac Conservancy’s mission and commitment to ensure clean water, outdoor experiences, and thriving ecosystems are accessible to and safe for everyone.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of experience in digital public engagement strategies, or 7+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience engaging, growing, and mobilizing digital audiences.
- A grassroots mobilizer mindset, inspires action through planned engagement efforts and rapid response opportunities.
- Ability to take complex policy ideas and translate them into compelling messages.
- Strong planning and time management skills, with an ability to coordinate deliverables across multiple internal collaborators.
- Excellent writer and editor able to work across email, web, and social.
- Experience working in a CRM system and analyzing engagement data.
- Fluency in Spanish or other commonly spoken languages in the Potomac River region is a plus.
- Experience in digital fundraising, media relations, graphic design, supervising volunteers and staff, and diversity, equity, and inclusion training are valued.
- As a regionally focused organization, we value having staff live locally to our watershed.
Location: Potomac Conservancy is located in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland near the Silver Spring Metro station. The organization is implementing a hybrid model starting in June 2022 with generous allowances for work-from-home hours.
COVID-19 protocols: The Conservancy requires employees to follow the CDC’s latest COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. Proof of full vaccination is required. Special medical and religious exceptions are allowed.
Desired start date: July/August 2022
Compensation and benefits: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with a salary range of $55,000- $60,000 based on the experience and skills you bring. In addition to occasional outdoor outings, benefits include medical and dental coverage; 18 days paid time off per year; 10 holidays per year; matching 403(b) retirement funds; flex spending accounts; and a fun and rewarding work environment.
To apply: Please submit your application by May 30, 2022 to Vice President of Communications Melissa Diemand (email@example.com). To be considered, you must submit a thoughtful cover letter, your resume, and at least two writing samples. Include “Digital Grassroots Director” in the subject line.