Digital Designer/Content Creator
Type of Job
Jan 22, 2023
About the job
DIGITAL DESIGNER / CONTENT CREATOR of GAS LEAKS
There has never been a more critical time to work on climate change. Both the public will and the urgent need for intersectional climate action that centers on equity are high. And we now know that we can only reach our climate goals after immediately winding down the methane gas system. We seek talented, committed, and justice-oriented individuals to seize this opportunity to work for change.
To meet this moment and fill a gap within the climate fight, Gas Leaks is hiring its first digital communications staff to continue to build a growing team. The ideal candidates won’t be afraid to jump into our fast-moving, creative campaigns and explore communications tools and tactics to further our organizational messaging and objectives. Gas Leaks has ambitious goals and is seeking a proactive, creative digital designer to advance its work to raise awareness about the climate, health, and safety impacts of methane gas.
Digital Designer / Content Creator Role
Gas Leaks seeks a talented digital designer and content creator to create visual communication and storytelling for climate change issues. This position will create innovative content and stay on top of the latest social media trends and critical climate and gas-related news.
This person will be a visual storyteller with a strong interest in all digital content and social media. They will have an affinity for delivering outside-the-box concepts, dynamic content, and innovative strategies. They understand the power of stories to catalyze action and build community.
1. Actively create and develop high-quality creative content for Gas Leaks’ organic and paid social, using the latest social media creative best practices, with engaging imagery, written, and video content
2. Create graphic, video, and story content for Gas Leaks’ online and social media channels, including, but not limited to: Website, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and YouTube, ensuring brand consistency and tone of voice
3. Create visual communication, data-driven infographics, email templates, and social media for campaigns, rapid response, and other opportunistic moments in a timely fashion
4. Execute on Gas Leaks digital strategy and design brand
5. Distill complex topics into easily digestible pieces for a general audience with assistance from experts and feedback from creative leads and stakeholders
6. Prepare and present projects' creative and design ideas to all the relevant stakeholders
7. Collaborate across teams and partners to ensure that all designs align with the brand image while also meeting usability, social media, and website standards
8. Provide support with SEO optimization, website updates and UX monitoring, email marketing and implementation, and additional aspects of Gas Leaks’ digital presence
9. Perform other duties as assigned
1. At least 1-2 years of experience in a professional-level digital design/content role
2. A portfolio of previous digital design work showcasing experience and creativity
3. Proficiency with some of the following design and video tools: Adobe Creative Suite w/ emphasis on Photoshop and Illustrator, also Indesign, Sketch, Wochit, Premiere, Final Cut
4. Must have a working knowledge of visual composition, color grading, and lighting
5. Solid understanding of design principles like text hierarchy and balance
6. Organizational skills to ensure teams’ internal file structure is neat and easy to navigate
7. Attention to detail (copywriting and proof-checking are essential parts of this role)
8. A demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity and experience or desire to integrate and apply a racial justice lens to campaign strategies in a way that centers historically marginalized and disproportionately impacted communities in campaign communications priorities
1. Training or education in digital design, graphic design, or a related field
2. Experience with film, video, and photo capture, editing, after effects, for high-end production
3. Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, and presentation
4. Knowledge of social media best practices, including content calendar creation, KPIs
1. A team player who is willing to be a part of an agile team, learn new things, experiment, and jump in whenever necessary
2. Ability to clearly present design ideas and concepts, problem solve, work independently, be detail-oriented, and manage many tasks at once in a fast-paced environment
3. Service-oriented and culturally competent with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
4. Proactive and passionate; excited to help create something meaningful
5. Entrepreneurial and creative; able to promote and empathetically connect the mission while also measuring and analyzing the performance of content and messages
Gas Leaks is a project of Climate Nexus, a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. We strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences to apply, especially people from communities that have been historically underrepresented in the energy, climate, and environmental sectors.
Benefits: Salary is $60,000-65,000. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave.
How to Apply: Interviews will begin the week of Feb 13. This position is open until filled. Candidate applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Those interested in the position should apply as soon as possible.
Applicants should submit a resume, a portfolio and/or work examples, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Designer, Gas Leaks” in the subject line.