New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
Feb 24, 2022
About the job
Do you have a “can-do” attitude? Are you hungry to fundraise for conservation? Are you a compelling storyteller? If yes, come join Mohonk Preserve’s team! We are seeking a Development Officer with an interest in non-profit fundraising, a collaborative work style, and ability to build rapport.
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
The Development Officer (DO) is an integral member of the team responsible for raising $2.5 million annually to support the mission of Mohonk Preserve. This position works in collaboration with the Director of Development (DOD) to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and members to deeper levels of connection and commitment to the Preserve. This position works with the President, Department Directors and Board Members to ensure fundraising goals are met.
The Development Officer works with a portfolio of prospective donors to advance their relationship with the Preserve. The DO takes a leadership role in planning special appeals, managing the Preserver Membership program, and increasing planned gifts.
The DO reports to the Director of Development
Major Gift and Preserver Membership Program Duties (50%):
- Manage approximately 65-75% of the organization’s portfolio of gift prospects, the bulk of whom have the capacity to give $1,000 or more to the Preserve
· In close collaboration with Director of Development, participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
· Manage all donor research functions
- In collaboration with the Land Stewardship department, maintain current list of available naming opportunities
Special Appeal Campaigns (30%)
· Establish and manage campaign schedule, anticipating deadlines and engaging stakeholders
· Create materials for online and print use, in collaboration with DOD
· Manage graphic designer, printer, and mail house
· Manage campaigns in Salesforce
Other Duties (20%)
- Master Salesforce functionality related to donor relations which may include managing engagement plans, establishing data entry protocols, reporting, campaign management, etc.
· Perform data entry, process donor acknowledgements, as needed
· Maintain confidential donor files (paper and digital) e.g., bequests, named endowment funds
· Assist with and staff special events, as needed
· Willingness to work irregular hours, including some weekends, evenings, and/or holidays
Desired Skills and Experience:
· A college degree or equivalent work/life experience
· Three years of work experience in the nonprofit sector – preferably in fundraising
· Experience in the donor-facing aspects of fundraising
- Excellent computer skills - ability to use email, Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills including public speaking
· Experience managing the clerical requirements of donor relations
· Experience with conservation organizations is a plus
· Bonus skills
o Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume by March 25, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include Development Officer Application in the subject line of your email.
Additional details: https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/who-we-are/jobs-fellowships-and-internships/