Santa Fe, NM
Type of Job
45000 - 55000
Jan 26, 2023
About the job
The Development Associate works across the family of organizations in support of the Director of Philanthropy to meet development and revenue goals, grow our statewide donor and member base, and enhance members’ and supporters’ engagement with the organization.
The vision of CVNM & CVNMEF is for a New Mexico where decision-makers and public policies represent the conservation values of our people. Our mission is to connect the people of New Mexico to their political power to protect our air, land, water and wildlife for a healthy Land of Enchantment. We do this by mobilizing voters, helping candidates win elections, holding elected officials accountable, and advancing responsible public policies.
The Development Associate incorporates the values of racial equity, diversity and inclusion in the organization’s day-to-day systems and work, and provides key support for collaboration across internal departments, external audiences, and organizational partnerships.
- In partnership with the Director of Philanthropy, help to set member number and revenue goals (in line with the strategic plan); track progress. Identify areas of improvement and where additional outreach could be beneficial.
- Explore and implement ideas for recruiting new recurring donors and stewarding existing givers at the membership and monthly giving levels. Work in partnership with the Director of Philanthropy to recruit and retain new major donors.
- Oversee and manage communication and outreach to member-level and monthly giving donors. This includes continuously updating outreach and communication materials, donor packets, e-blasts, special communications and newsletters. Work in partnership with the Director of Philanthropy to develop communications and outreach strategies for major donors.
- Assist in all aspects of event planning and implementation. This includes maintaining an internal events calendar, with timelines to ensure planning and preparation is timely. Identify and work with relevant vendors, such as venues, photographers, caterers, etc. Manage the creation and production of event communications and outreach to relevant donors and stakeholders.
- Manage the administrative responsibilities of the Philanthropy Department including running donation reports, managing the gift acknowledgement process, and donation record maintenance. Maintain the donor database, conducting data maintenance, donor profile updates and recording donor interactions. Track financial donations and work in partnership with finance and accounting to accurately report gifts.
- Manage day to day development operations in alignment with CVNM’s organizational commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Help set member number and revenue goals in line with strategic plan; track progress; identify areas of improvement and where additional outreach could be beneficial.
- Develop and update outreach and communication materials, including donor packets, e-blasts, special communications and newsletters.
- Explore and implement new ideas for acquiring donors and action members in diverse geographic areas.
- Explore and implement new ideas for converting subscribers to donors.
- Assist in evolving stewardship plans with equity lens, ensuring philanthropic efforts come from a place centered around equity and inclusion.
- Manage member-level donor communications including email responses, thank you letters, phone calls, and outreach activities.
- Engage with lapsed donors; support donors with updating information; use innovative thinking to encourage reengagement.
- Monitor firstname.lastname@example.org email account; ensure emails get routed and responded to.
Monthly giving program
- Help set recurring donor number and revenue goals (in line with strategic plan); track progress toward goals. Identify areas of improvement and where additional outreach could be beneficial.
- Explore and implement ideas for stewardship and recruiting new recurring donors.
- Follow up with lapsed donors; support donors with updating information; use innovative thinking to encourage reengagement.
Major donor support
- Update and maintain information in major donor profiles.
- Draft profiles for new major donors, ensuring accurate information within the system.
- Maintain gift acknowledgement tracking sheet for mid-range and major donor thanks.
- Assist with prospect research (WealthEngine, political giving records, LCV donors, etc.).
- Utilize database tools to identify donors for potential upgrade.
Legacy giving program
- Assist with all aspects of this growing program. In coordination with the Director of Philanthropy and the legacy giving planning committee, establish communications and outreach strategies for new legacy donors.
- Help identify potential legacy donors and support outreach and communication.
- Manage and track communications, outreach and stewardship, and log legacy donor interactions.
- Plan and manage legacy donor stewardship events and engagement activities.
- Assist with researching new funding possibilities.
- Assist with grants record-keeping, including tracking and reconciling funds and working in partnership with accounting and finance to properly record funding.
- Assist in all aspects of event planning and implementation.
- Maintain an internal events calendar, with timelines.
- Identify and work with relevant vendors, such as venues, photographers, caterers, etc.
- Manage the creation and production of event communications and outreach to relevant donors and stakeholders.
- Manage event follow-up (record participation in database member records, archive event info, etc).
- Manage donor databases, including data input, data scrubbing, pulling reports and correcting records as needed.
- Manage donation records and acknowledgements, produce donation reports.
- Track financial donations and work in partnership with finance and accounting to accurately report gifts.
- Track and submit department expenses and receipts.
- Other duties as assigned. This is a full-time exempt position. Job requires occasional after-hours and weekend work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that foster collaboration and respect.
- Ability to take initiative and think innovatively.
- Strong organization skills, with close attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Graphic design skills preferred.
- Interest in learning new skills and issues relevant to CVNM’s mission.
- Ability to work both independently and effectively as a member of a team, with the discretion required to implement the core responsibilities of this position.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Compliance with CVNM’s policies and procedures.
- Experience working with a donor management database.
- Experience interacting with donors in a nonprofit environment.
- Experience in event planning and management.
Compensation: $45,000 – $55,000 depending on experience. This is a full-time exempt salaried position. CVNM also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick leave, a retirement package, and health, dental, and vision coverage.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with “Development Associate” in the subject line. Position is open until filled. No calls please. Candidates from historically underrepresented or disenfranchised backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of all we do at CVNM and CVNMEF. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants free from discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.