Development & Communications Director/ Staff Writer
New York, NY
Type of Job
90,000 to 100,000
About the job
The Development & Communications Director is an exceptional professional writer who is
motivated by a competitive funding environment with the support of a highly engaged
team. Applicants with a background in philanthropy, fundraising, values-aligned investing,
and climate finance would be well suited to this position. This high-performing leader
must easily grasp complex program concepts and use creativity to develop and execute
communication strategies across multiple types of media, all with careful attention to
detail and deadlines.
Reports to: Managing Director
Compensation: $90,000 - $100,000 plus full-time benefits including healthcare and
Location – Non Negotiable: New York City / Tri State Area
Commitment: Must be available between 9 AM – 6PM ET Monday through Friday. May
require some evening or weekend work.
Position Start Date: Open until filled with an immediate start
Fundraising (60% time)
Grant Writing: Work closely with the development and program teams to develop and
submit funding requests, including grants and sponsorships. Conduct topical research
and collaborate with a range of partners, members and external organizations to create
• Reporting: Create the organization’s annual report, grant reports and other marketing
materials. Generate content using compelling member stories, data, infographics and
other information provided by our program staff.
• Development Planning: Lead the Program Team to devise and implement annual
fundraising plans and appeals.
Communications (40% time)
• External Marketing: Design, develop and disseminate print and online materials to
promote Confluence’s brand and mission. Examples include writing and editing
publication-ready thought leadership content, press releases, website content and blog
posts, and event promos and mailings. Coordinate with marketing partners to execute
visibility campaigns for Confluence and its initiatives. Develop and nurture relationships
with journalists and media outlets covering the investment community.
• Social Media: Implement and manage the social media strategy and presence for
Confluence programs and events, including coordinating and organizing content from
members and staff.
• Degree in business, marketing, communications, or equivalent experience,
graduate-level degree preferred.
• Demonstrated interest in environmental and social investing and/or innovations in
the philanthropic, social enterprise, and non-profit sectors.
• Fundraising and marketing experience in impact investing or related field desired.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to organize ideas, synthesize information and turn objectives and messages
into compelling and succinct narratives for philanthropic support.
• Passionate about the use of technology in marketing and communication, and
facility with social media platforms required.
• Design experience (Adobe Suite) a plus.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Displays exceptional timemanagement
as needed for meeting deadlines.
• Attention to detail, highly organized, efficient, with a self-directed work style.
• Ability to perform well under pressure, with patience and a sense of humor.
How to apply:
• Please send your resume, a cover letter, 3 professional writing samples, and 3
professional references to: David Estrada, david at confluencephilanthropy.org